IGNORED

Baron 4-2-4 slip ons!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

Well to organize a ride is much more fun than all that other stuff lately!!

To all......we will meet at the boat ramp access to the congaree river off Hi-way 601. This River access is just past the junction of 601 and road 48, you cross some railroad tracks, go over another bridge or two, and about two miles past 48 you will see just before the big bridge that crosses the main river a sign saying access, there is a nice parking lot there......good place to meet.....watch the gravel in the turn off!!

Kickstand going up at 9am at my house, will put me there about 10 a.m. Supposed to be 70 plus degrees tomorrow, let the morning chill get off. This will give us several hours to run down 21...stop a couple places, find the steel bridge and (pack a pic-nic lunch-no where down there to eat I do not think) eat. Has been several years since I went this way, just something maybe out of the ordinary. Several hours to look around.....go here or there. and will give us three hours to get back before dark.

My home phone is 803-957-5652 and my cell which I will have tomorrow is 803-240-8529. Cell phones for whatever reason do not function around or in the area of the bridge...if you get lost.......call me before 8:45 so I can help you find this place. Kit

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson

The Baron 4-2-4 pipes did great today. Took them on a 300 plus mile ride and there is not a bit of vibration......no popping......no problems.....bike runs like a top......There is just a bit more power in higher gears....can run the bike at 55 in 5th gear comfortably. Going for another ride tomorrow.......will check the carb sync one evening next week.........as I can tell........nothing needs to be done.....just install them and go. Kit

The Baron 4-2-4 pipes did great today. Took them on a 300 plus mile ride and there is not a bit of vibration......no popping......no problems.....bike runs like a top......There is just a bit more power in higher gears....can run the bike at 55 in 5th gear comfortably. Going for another ride tomorrow.......will check the carb sync one evening next week.........as I can tell........nothing needs to be done.....just install them and go. Kit

Oh you do have popping on deceleration, but not to bad.

You just could not hear it is all. :whistling:

Guest KitCarson
Oh you do have popping on deceleration, but not to bad.

You just could not hear it is all. :whistling:

But my chirp is cured!! You are right.....be hard to hear it sitting on top of them.......okay will plug the AIS, does not take long. Thanks Kit

Can't wait to put my set on . SleeperHawk mentioned you had to take a rubber mallet and wooden block to get the slipons over the exhaust pipe . Was it really that tight , being they were made for the RSV ? :confused24: If so , I do have an exhaust pipe stretcher .

BEER30

Guest KitCarson
Can't wait to put my set on . SleeperHawk mentioned you had to take a rubber mallet and wooden block to get the slipons over the exhaust pipe . Was it really that tight , being they were made for the RSV ? :confused24: If so , I do have an exhaust pipe stretcher .

BEER30

Yep.....it was the right side head pipe, not the pipes. Tried both pipes on the head pipe. One on the left just slipped right on.....One on the right was stubborn....did put anti-seize on it, yours may be fine, just that the right head pipe on my bike is a little big. I tried my pipe stretcher on it, but did not help me any, so I resorted to a wooden block and rubber mallet.

That right side must just be a bigger diameter . When I put the RK pipes on , I had to stretch the ride side more than I did the left side .

By the way , no need to get a better pipe stretch , just get Charlie , stick his head in the end of the pipe and tell him 1st Gens or Honda's are the best . His head will swell and stretch the pipe . Don't say it out to loud , or it will damage the pipes by stretching to much .

BEER30

I believe you are mistaken about the need to rejet...... I put on Cobra pipes on my old Nomad and that's the first thing that happened- serious popping from the AIS (yes, they have one too). When I called Cobra the said rejet and told we which kit (they have several stages)

I did , and gained power, torque and sound- and lost the popping! A bit of work but realy enjoyed it for years!!

I can tell you that I was one of the first to get these pipes when they came out two years ago and there is no need to rejet .The ais system would have to be plugged with any aftermarket free flowing exhaust to stop the popping of the unburned fuel caught in the exhaust system.

That right side must just be a bigger diameter . When I put the RK pipes on , I had to stretch the ride side more than I did the left side .

By the way , no need to get a better pipe stretch , just get Charlie , stick his head in the end of the pipe and tell him 1st Gens or Honda's are the best . His head will swell and stretch the pipe . Don't say it out to loud , or it will damage the pipes by stretching to much .

BEER30

Gene mine went on without any strech. I did cut an 1/4" off the end to get them to go on a little further. The bracket didnt line up the way i wanted it to.

Guest KitCarson
I believe you are mistaken about the need to rejet...... I put on Cobra pipes on my old Nomad and that's the first thing that happened- serious popping from the AIS (yes, they have one too). When I called Cobra the said rejet and told we which kit (they have several stages)

I did , and gained power, torque and sound- and lost the popping! A bit of work but realy enjoyed it for years!!

Well I am normally mistaken at least twice a day! Makes life more fun, and give me something to do. I do plan to plug the AIS to stop pollution. I see not need at all to re-jet. The bike runs great, has more power, gets better fuel economy, sounds great......the popping that is there, I did not notice, only someone behind me notices a bit of this. This popping is generally there all the time, just one does not notice it with factory mufflers packed with glass.

Did the Kawasaki folks tell you to just plug the AIS, or did that get for gone in a re-jet job. I will avoid any re-jet if not absolutely required as I have done this before and usually it totally ruins gas mileage.

I really do not see any need to re-jet anything. The popping noise is always there with stock mufflers.......just noticed more with any more open pipe. The popping I have, I had to really rev it up today playing to hear it .

So it is not bad at all.......I will plug the AIS one day soon.......when I change the oil......front one is easy to get to with the oil filter off. I really do think this is all that is going to be required.

About re-jetting...I have read for many years that RSV owners putting free flowing mufflers on don't have to re-jet. My experience with my '01 RSV...I put on Harley Road King mufflers, drilled out both baffles so it was straight thru. I didn't re-jet at first, and it ran OK. Gas mileage went up a bit, a couple mpg's. But it did seem to loose a little high rev power. I had read (on a couple of forums) the guys who re-jetted said they got some suprising power increases when re-jetting with free-flowing mufflers. So I tried it, I'm no stranger to carbs. Went up one size on each main jet, and up one size on each pilot jet. And they were right, there is a very nice power increase, from right off idle all the way up. Throttle response and low end torque made around town riding a lot easier. And mpg's went from averaging about 42mpg completely stock to about 40 mpg after re-jetting (also a K&N air filter).

So here's my point...re-jetting isn't necessary, the RSV runs fine without it. But if you DO re-jet, you will find you can have a lot of fun with the throttle! For me, loosing a couple mpg's was worth it.

Guest KitCarson
About re-jetting...I have read for many years that RSV owners putting free flowing mufflers on don't have to re-jet. My experience with my '01 RSV...I put on Harley Road King mufflers, drilled out both baffles so it was straight thru. I didn't re-jet at first, and it ran OK. Gas mileage went up a bit, a couple mpg's. But it did seem to loose a little high rev power. I had read (on a couple of forums) the guys who re-jetted said they got some suprising power increases when re-jetting with free-flowing mufflers. So I tried it, I'm no stranger to carbs. Went up one size on each main jet, and up one size on each pilot jet. And they were right, there is a very nice power increase, from right off idle all the way up. Throttle response and low end torque made around town riding a lot easier. And mpg's went from averaging about 42mpg completely stock to about 40 mpg after re-jetting (also a K&N air filter).

So here's my point...re-jetting isn't necessary, the RSV runs fine without it. But if you DO re-jet, you will find you can have a lot of fun with the throttle! For me, loosing a couple mpg's was worth it.

Hi Denden! The Yamaha Spy.....heard someone call you that once!! In any event I do value your experience above most. I will listen to you and a couple others!

I am going to wait and get my tips installed for the pipes, and put the carb tune on and see what has happened to the sync. I love the bike as is, it has lots of power as is, it has in fact as you stated increased gas mileage by a couple mpg. It does at high, high end decrease the power some, such as be in 4th gear and romp on it to pass......takes just a split second more to get that response......but in the low end torque seems to have became better(seems so to me) I dread messing with the carbs........I have to wear reading glasses now.......cannot see all that stuff!!! I am not a speed demon anymore either. I have re-jetted bikes before....some are much easier to work on than this venture.....and each time yes it did increase that instant throttle response. So those of you interested in doing so.....yes it does give you a performance boost.

I am now a lazy easy rider, one who loves to just do the speed limit, take it easy, naturally do like performance, but seem to be just content with the bike as it is......this thing has power to spare.....more than I will ever use. Kit

Right, Kit. Not necessary, but it can increase power and response IF that's what you want. Here is a link to the tech library with step-by-step pictures included. You can swap some main jets around, so you only need to get 2 new main jets...two 125.

part numbers...125 main jet: 3G2-14231-25-00 (2 needed)

Pilot jet #17.5: 4KM-14142-17-00 (4 needed)

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=502

Another thing you can do to help eliminate some of the popping is to turn out the carb pilot screw 1/4 turn each. The pilot screw adjusts the idle mixture (and just off idle mixture). Backing them out 1/4 turn (counter-clockwise) will slightly richen the mixture (set very lean from the factory to meet EPA emmissions). The pilot screws are hidden under brass caps that come off very easily. Just put a flat blade screwdriver next to the brass cap and twist it to put a little sideways pressure on it. It is about the size of a .22 casing, but tapered a little, with a tiny hole right in the middle. You don't have to remove the carbs or the gas tank. but you need a flashlight to see in under there between the carbs. Here's a picture with the carbs off and turned upside down, to help you see what you're looking for. Remember, this picture is upside down from what it will look like without removing the carbs. After you remove the brass caps, the pilot screw is brass, and has a cross slot (uses a flat blade screwdriver, but with 2 slots)

Well today my Baron Extreme Slash tips came in . Now it's time to start sticking out that bottom lip till the wife gives in to let me install the Baron's 4-2-4's on the scoot . Otherwise it's under the tree and no pictures , nor noise till Christmas mourning . :whistling:

BEER30

Guest KitCarson

Thanks Denden.......I will do the pilot screws.....now watch those little caps be a pain to snap back on............I will do anything if I do not have to take the carbs out of the bike.......Good Idea......Thanks.

Guest KitCarson
Well today my Baron Extreme Slash tips came in . Now it's time to start sticking out that bottom lip till the wife gives in to let me install the Baron's 4-2-4's on the scoot . Otherwise it's under the tree and no pictures , nor noise till Christmas mourning . :whistling:

BEER30

:depressed: My tips have not made it yet........must be on a slower boat. Will not have time to mess with all this stuff tomorrow anyway, such as plugging the AIS, turning out the pilot screws and sync the carbs......it is going to be 81 degrees tomorrow......I am going for a ride, might go to Savanah.....by way of the lazy back roads.

Thanks Denden.......I will do the pilot screws.....now watch those little caps be a pain to snap back on............I will do anything if I do not have to take the carbs out of the bike.......Good Idea......Thanks.

Putting the caps back on would be darn near impossible, without removing the carbs. I never put the caps back on, and I have done this with several bikes (for the other Ventureriders in the area). But why put them back on? Adjusting the carbs won't void your warranty...(or I guess I should say "shouldn't). The dealers know that adjusting the pilot screws help eliminate the popping, and help "driveability" (low end torque and throttle response). I have read that some dealers will refuse to do it, because it changes the emissions (it's probably actually illegal for a liscenced mechanic to alter the emission controls). The caps are actually there to make the pilot screws "tamper proof". I have also read that some dealers will do it to keep a customer happy. And some dealers might give you a hard time if the caps are off when you bring it in for service. I guess it depends on your dealer, and if you have the dealer do the work on your bike. I do all my own work, but I had to take it in to get an "I" basket since that's the only way to get one. And had some other warranty work done (rear drive).

The 3 dealers I ever let near my bike never said a word about my "mods". But if you worry about things like that (voiding the warranty) for your peace of mind leave the bike stock. It runs OK stock...it just runs better with a little adjustment.

Guest KitCarson

The slow boat pulled in at 5:45. Here are the slash tips installed, loc-tite on the allen head screws......rear AIS plugged......found an 1/2 inch CPVC plumbing cap slips up into the hose nicely, good and snug.

Guest KitCarson
Nice job there Kit....and my wish list gets longer and longer.....:rotf:
That seems to be an affliction with these bikes!!

I have enough stuff ordered to keep the UPS guy busy twice a week!! I have decided I like this bike better than any I have ever had, so I am going to doll her up. Next project will be a light kit on the front, I do not like riding at night, try to avoid it, but this time of year with short days I do get caught out at night sometimes, besides it will just look Kewl.........Yep anyone who owns one of these things has a pretty long wish list:rotfl::rotfl:

Kit,

How much clearance do you have between the pipe and the swing arm on each side? I'm under the impression they've changed the bracket since I last saw a set. The originals wouldn't fit with my Rivco air horns. I'm wondering if there's any more space, 'cause I sure do lust for a set of those.

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

How much clearance do you have between the pipe and the swing arm on each side? I'm under the impression they've changed the bracket since I last saw a set. The originals wouldn't fit with my Rivco air horns. I'm wondering if there's any more space, 'cause I sure do lust for a set of those.

On the right side of the bike the actual swing arm side.......the pipes are level and straight back and sit just under the swing arm level, and have exactly 3/4 of an inch clearance from the swing arm, measured diagonally, as they do hang just under the swing arm level. But have 3/4 inch clearance from the swing arm. On the drive shaft side......hey lots of room. Do not know about the air horn installation, never had one of those.

Just got back from a day run to Georgia, across the Savannah River, had plugged the rear AIS yesterday.......pipes sure sound good with the AIS plugged........stopped and bought some energy saving url, soon as the motor cools off a bit, going to plug the front AIS and Change the oil, set the pilot jets and sync the carbs.

If you took a long level and removed the stock muffler and held the level on the top of the head pipe......you would have a 3/4 by 3/4 space from the swing arm.........got you confused yet!!! I think they have changed them considerably. A couple friends who have seen mine have said they have been changed a lot. Kit