IGNORED

Baron 4-2-4 slip ons!

Guest KitCarson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
Kit, sounds like a lot of fun. Merry Christmas.
Hi Orrin!! Merry Christmas to you also, and I hope your collar bone is doing better. Maybe Santa will bring you a tonic to kill the pain??. Yes it was quite the fun day. Was in the low 80s I think, by noon I had to stuff my leathers and jacket in the trunk.....whew, was like summer. Found a side road that led to a Civil war Monument......stopped there for a bit.

Weather has been great.......but we are fixing to pay for it.......going to be like 27 degrees this weekend..think that is what they said......then we will also get cabin fever. Okay got to go find me a long small blade screw driver and heat up the shank and bend a 45 degree offset in the shank. Denden has suggested to turn 1/4 turn, the pilot jets.....so instead of fighting it......I will make a specialty tool just for that purpose. Take Care.....get well.

Well , sticking out my bottom lip worked !

Installed the 4-2-4's on the scoot this evening and they sound Sweet !!!!!! Only rode for a few minutes , but enough time to run the scoot slow and fast to hear them . Even romped on them a few time as well . Tomorrow I will break out the video camera to tape some sound-bites and also to give ya a look on how I mounted my tips .

Kit , while mounting my pipes , I had hardly any resistance putting them on , Only the right side did I use a small mallet and block of wood to get the last 1/2" forward . Other than a few burrs and the spacer/washers were to small for them to use , everything else was fine .

BEER30

Guest KitCarson
Well , sticking out my bottom lip worked !

Installed the 4-2-4's on the scoot this evening and they sound Sweet !!!!!! Only rode for a few minutes , but enough time to run the scoot slow and fast to hear them . Even romped on them a few time as well . Tomorrow I will break out the video camera to tape some sound-bites and also to give ya a look on how I mounted my tips .

Kit , while mounting my pipes , I had hardly any resistance putting them on , Only the right side did I use a small mallet and block of wood to get the last 1/2" forward . Other than a few burrs and the spacer/washers were to small for them to use , everything else was fine .

BEER30

I did not put a caliper on the head pipe.......but as you have had a small problem and I had a good-un with that side........I think is is simply the right side due to manufacture is slightly bigger. I have had others tell me even with the Kromewerks.....that side is a little tough.

Hey enjoy the pipes........they are fun......with the AIS plugged, they develop a nice deep rumble, just an occasional pop, usually for my bike on the upshift....and maybe a little in a hard drop into 1st......Yea Beer those pipes are great........you will love them......loud enough to know it is a motorcycle.....but in normal use.....not real loud like Harley straight pipes......I think they are just about perfect. And they look nice too.

Hey I dis-agree with Sleeperhawk and Charlie......I saw a Moose once, I thought it was a cow with antlers:rotfl::rotfl:

Here's some pic's on my scoot with the 4-2-4's . I'll get the video up later this evening after I get home from work and wrapping gifts .

BEER30

With the tips like that, from the side looks like one pipe.

Baron's really have upgraded the quality on those pipes.

Enjoy :):)

Here's some pic's on my scoot with the 4-2-4's . I'll get the video up later this evening after I get home from work and wrapping gifts .

BEER30

The tips like that look really good. But I think you better be careful when you walk around the rear of the bike. Looks like they could take a nice chunk from your shins...:doh:owww

The tips like that look really good. But I think you better be careful when you walk around the rear of the bike. Looks like they could take a nice chunk from your shins...:doh:owww

Not really , as they will walk into the trunk first . On which that subject is another project going on right now . I'm having fabricated a trunk rail . Chromed double bars that wrap around the trunk , added additional flag pole mounts , relocating antennas and different armrest attachment . Connected to the scoot at 4 point , giving it a solid mount . This will give some more protection to the trunk from them darn blasted shopping carts .

Sleeperhawk , actually the tips the way they are are more appealing for the gualkers in the parking lots and shows .

BEER30

Guest KitCarson

Okay as some of you have been wanting to know how bad the sync goes out of the carbs when full flow exhaust is added.......I have included a photo of the carb tune. They did not go out much.......just had to tweak the carbs a bit. This result is after plugging the AIS and putting on my glasses and with the use of a flashlight too....pried the little brass caps off the pilot jets and turned them out 1/4 turn. Pipes sound good now......bike has plenty of power.....sound.....get up and go.......

Here's a short video of my scoot with the 4-2-4's . I wanted to get a better video , but had just a small amount of time to do it today as I was plagued with phone calls . I will try to shoot a better one here soon . Had some popping , but that will be cured later soon as well .

Here's the video , http://www.meangene.us/video/424SB.wmv

BEER30

When I put 4-2-4's on my '07 RSV about 6 months ago, I picked up a couple of #2 rubber plugs from Lowe's and did the AIS plugging (described above) procedure. "Almost" all of the popping went away, but I still hear a little on hard decel. It's not objectionable and my navigator says she thinks it sounds like a hot rod. The only concession we've made so far to the volume of the slip-on's is to use foam ear plugs on long trips. We love the 4-2-4's!

Smokee

Guest KitCarson
When I put 4-2-4's on my '07 RSV about 6 months ago, I picked up a couple of #2 rubber plugs from Lowe's and did the AIS plugging (described above) procedure. "Almost" all of the popping went away, but I still hear a little on hard decel. It's not objectionable and my navigator says she thinks it sounds like a hot rod. The only concession we've made so far to the volume of the slip-on's is to use foam ear plugs on long trips. We love the 4-2-4's!

Smokee

Glad you like your pipes....yes they are neat Taint't they!! If you also turn the pilot jets out 1/4 turn as Denden has explained in this thread, it also makes a great difference. Almost never any popping and the bike does run better, and when you get the carbs synced the idle is even a slower deeper sound.........I am impressed.......thanks Denden!!

Hey I keep reading about these little rubber plugs at Lowes and Home Depot, I go there daily.......I have never seen any little rubber plugs!! I have seen furniture leg caps..........are these what everyone is calling rubber plugs.........I know for a fact there are none in the plumbing department as I have at least one of everything they have on my truck,

To me a rubber plug would be a solid plug, like something used in a laboratory, and would not deteriorate and last the life of the bike, I thought about large marbles or bearings.......but used a 1/2 inch cpvc pipe cap as it is a tempered plastic and will not ever deteriorate........hey what is these rubber plugs.......are these the furniture end caps??

This rubber plug stuff ....I had an 86 F-250 , over 150K+ on it , had dual EGR pumps on it . Why , Being it was an 3/4 ton and burn regular gas ? Well , must be one of them Kalicornie things :confused24: .

Anyways , it ran great in all aspects and with EPA standards in Alaska ,we had to do the emissions BS . Bottom line , I took B-B's , plugged the vacuum lines leading into the dual EGR pumps . Ran the Emissions test and results were that the 150K+ truck ran cleaner and with had more power than a new truck off the show room floor . Can we just run a plug within the line , still connecting the hose to the AIS . Hidden from the Yamaha mechanics to avoid the warranty question , being they see no mods ?

BEER30

Guest KitCarson
This rubber plug stuff ....I had an 86 F-250 , over 150K+ on it , had dual EGR pumps on it . Why , Being it was an 3/4 ton and burn regular gas ? Well , must be one of them Kalicornie things :confused24: .

Anyways , it ran great in all aspects and with EPA standards in Alaska ,we had to do the emissions BS . Bottom line , I took B-B's , plugged the vacuum lines leading into the dual EGR pumps . Ran the Emissions test and results were that the 150K+ truck ran cleaner and with had more power than a new truck off the show room floor . Can we just run a plug within the line , still connecting the hose to the AIS . Hidden from the Yamaha mechanics to avoid the warranty question , being they see no mods ?

BEER30

Gene: That is exactly what i did. I used a 1/2 inch cpvc pipe cap, and slid it up into the hose. It fits exactly right, then just put the hose back on.......does not make a bulge, closes off the hose......does the job, now one will ever know about the blockage in the hose. We do not have to worry about that stuff anyway.....it is in Kallifornia that you have to pass an inspection and emissions test.....maybe other places too, but not in our part of the world. I had considered some Marbles......but that left visible bulge in the line.....so used the caps.....and cpvc material will never de-grade......crumble......dissolve........the hoses will rot and fall off before the caps do.

Guest KitCarson
Here's a short video of my scoot with the 4-2-4's . I wanted to get a better video , but had just a small amount of time to do it today as I was plagued with phone calls . I will try to shoot a better one here soon . Had some popping , but that will be cured later soon as well .

Here's the video , http://www.meangene.us/video/424SB.wmv

BEER30

Hey is this thing working....I am not a computer guru by any means, do have Win amp downloaded.......see not other comments on this clip.....wondering if it works, if not......it is Win Amp right?

It works on windows media player...Is that a popping noise when you let off?A friend of mine put them on and after 3 carb syncs we finally got it out.Tom

Yes , that was popping at the end . Rode the "Wreaths across the America" and 2 Care Bear rides yesterday . The popping seamed to settle down a lot the more I rode . Muffinman and I will be doing a Carb-Tune and Color-Tune at the New Years M & E . I will more than likely do the AIS mod too .

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis

Is there anyone on here that actually LIKES the popping sound???

I do! Makes the bike sound somehow...'meaner'...

The Venture can use a tad more attitude...or at least I think so.

Guest KitCarson
Is there anyone on here that actually LIKES the popping sound???

I do! Makes the bike sound somehow...'meaner'...

The Venture can use a tad more attitude...or at least I think so.

I have more to learn about computers....cannot hear Beers clip. Do not know how to play it. The baron pipes have plenty of attitude!! They are great. Just that plugging the AIS and enriching the fuel/mix does stop the pop, but in its place is a nice deep rumble. Lets the pipes work like they should. Yea the Baron pipes give the Venture some attitude!! It thinks it is part Harley now.

Okay finally figured it out.....had to copy and paste the url......Yes the pop sounds the same as mine did......it is kinda bad at speed and when you downshift hard......much more than on the video. There will still be a small pop once in awhile......but only in a hard downshift, and yes it is not objectionable......as you say......gives the bike character. Plugging the AIS just seems to even out and deepen the rumble.

Hey Kit...

The Lowe's in my town (and I imagine Home Depot, too) has solid black rubber plugs (or "stoppers" like you'd find in a lab) located in the hardware section, where the screws and bolts live. I used two "#2" plugs, but I don't recall the actual dimensions. They wedge tight in the metal tubes...big enough not to slide in, but small enough that the hoses slip back over them and they can't be detected after everything is reassembled. I got the idea for the plugs from Freebird's "how to" in the tech section of this forum. There's still a little pop when decellerating, but I actually like it...sounds cool.

Guest KitCarson

That is most likely why I could not find them, I was looking in all the wrong places! Will look again......buy a few and have them on hand to give to anyone who might need one or two. Thanks