IGNORED

Different Bike Maybe

WAC1972

I am thinking of selling my 1996 RSTC and buying a 1999 Road Star. I would be gaining 3 years. 300cc's and the Road Star has 15,000 less miles. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I check out this bike?

I can't offer much help. The bikes are so different that they really can't be compared to each other. The Roadstar is a nice bike but I've only ridden one briefly a couple of times. Great low end torque. I think it would be fun bike to own but I wouldn't want to give up my RSV for one. I don't think it would be nearly as good a bike for cross country rides.

I put 50k miles on my Road Star before I sold it to family.

Good looking bike,,, looks like a motorcycle should.

It is better geared for the mountains than the Royal's.

But you will miss your Royal on the interstate at 75+ mph and long trips.

At the age of both bikes, I don't think you have too much $$ in inventory that you can't justify keeping both. I have a RSTD and a RSV, one for solo, one for family rides.

I enjoyed the Road Star but if I jump on it now,,,, it seems small. Go figure.

Mike G.

Oh, what to look for. Primarily the sticky valve syndrom. Mine got hard running on cold starts, but that was mostly winter, had to run choke constant on cold mornings. Keep the oil on the low side.

If you start getting into the BAK and such, know what you are doing else you will fight yourself on adjustments. And don't use premium, that will carbon it up.

I also went through 3 stator/regulator rectifiers, but it's okay now.

You might think about making the stock seat more comfortable or get an Ultimate.

It's belt drive so it can make some belt noises,,, you can usually fix.

Like any of the Star bikes, it's a good bike if you keep it up.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Thanks for the input. The 99 Road Star only has a little over 5,000 miles and that is what got me looking. Basically a new bike. It has even newer tires and has been checked out for some type of recall. I believe the guy said transmission. I am going to try and post a pic.