IGNORED

Scala Rider and GPS Bluetooth compatability.

TearlessTom

Just need some quick advice.

My better half and I are heading out west at the end of June, We will be in AZ for a week and CO. for a week. Plus Two day trip each way.

We wll trailer the bikes out then ride each day we are there.

I recently bought us a pair of SCALA RIDER PRO. so we can communicate during our rides. We have tried them out a couple of times and like them so far. Once on different bikes and once 2 up.

Anyhow , my questions (2 of them)

I have the Street Pilot 2730 which does not have BLUETOOTH to connect to the SCALA.

Can anyone suggest which GPS units are know to work with this system???

I have also been thinking of the TOMTOM units also as well as GARMIN.

Secondly,
Does anyone know which GPS will work with the STREETS AND TRIPS program???

Most of the time my trial version will not recognize my Street Pilot 2730 so I can not send routes to my unit. I like the STREETS &TRIPS much better than Mapsource.

Thanks for any and all help.

That's a bunch of questions with no easy answers.

Bluetooth compatibility is a major headache because there are several different protocols. You have to make sure that both the GPS and the intercom support the same protocol ... and that should be in the spec of each.

Streets and Trips ... as far as I know can output to the .gpx format. Check that because most LD Riders plan with Mapsource and Street and Trips, and both can be loaded into Garmin units.

Probably others too, but I don't know.

S&T should recognise the Garmin, but if it doesn't I think the Microsoft routs, certainly the waypoints can be saved to a file and imported via Mapsource.

S&T is way prettier than Mapsource, but MS is pretty accurate because it should be using the actual maps that are loaded into the Garmin.

I have run a TOM TOM rider 2 for three years now in conjuction with the scala rider and my cell phone and all three work great together. The only downside of the rider is that there is no external speaker and no connection for one. when used for intercom and gps gps comands will take priority over chat.

I've been runing Garmin Streetpilots c550's for a while now and they are 'bluetoothed' to my cell. They look like a Zumo 550, but don't have the sunlight readable screen and a few other do-dads. And they are cheap because since being discontinued by Garmin the only place you can find one is on Ebay. Anyway they work great. I would think any Garmin GPS with Bluetooth would be compatable with the Scala unless the Scala is the weird format, but I wouldn't really think so?? :2cents: