IGNORED

I guess it's as good as it's going to get.

I've done about all I can do to my carbs over the last couple of years and have done alright with fuel mileage. Usually pull between 36 and 40 mpg in town a running in traffic. I'm not all that gentle on the throttle most the time. I was happy with that. A good day is 42 to 44.

I had a morning off for a change today so I took off and wandered around on the back roads for a while. Did about 300 miles. I've always wondered how far I could push the bike for miles before I ran it dry. I usually lose my last fuel bar about 140 miles and start looking for a pump. So today I filled a gallon gas can and put it in the side tank and figured I would find out.

I kept my speed as close to 60 - 65 as I could for most the miles and lost my last bar at about 160 miles on the odo. Kept rolling until I got nervous as the last 45 miles were going to have to be Interstate. Stop and filled it up.

226.4 on the odo.

Took 4.73 gallons.

That figures to be 47.86 mpg.

I got nuttin to complain about. I must have learned something hanging around here.:scratchchin:

Ok, So I did not get to answer one question I had. I know the tank is 5.3 gallons. I should have had about 1/2 of a gallon left. Any of you know about how much you can actually draw from the tank?

Later,

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I've done very similar experiments a couple times. Seem to have very similar results too... 140-150 is the first flash of the warning light (intermittently disappears and reappears for awhile); another good 40-50 miles before she conks out completely. I was thinking of bending the float arm a tick so that the warning doesn't happen til maybe 20 miles from empty.

Now, will somebody please tell me how I managed to get the engine OUT of my bike entirely by myself, but it took three people to get it jockeyed back INTO position? Haha- and here's a reminder to all who attempt the engine removal feat; MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE STUPID TORQUE TUBE BOOT ON BEFORE YOU GET THE ENGINE BOLTED BACK IN PLACE! If I had any inkling to ever remove the engine again I'd be a pro at it. :bang head: