IGNORED

Brake Lever Screw

OK...so what does the phillips screw (with the nut) do on the brakke lever? Also...how do you adjust it...If I put some clearance (space) between the screw head and the nut...and then turn the screw to tighten...THEY BOTH MOVE. Which means the screw and nut tighten to the same place every time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

Wally,

You need to use a phillips screw driver and a 10mm boxed end wrench at the same time. The nut is a lock nut, so holding the screw with the screw driver, loosen the nut. Then adjust the screw to where there is just a bit of clearance between it and the master cylinder plunger. Then again holding the screw in place tighten the nut.

Hope this helps,

Rick

OK...so what does the phillips screw (with the nut) do on the brakke lever? Also...how do you adjust it...If I put some clearance (space) between the screw head and the nut...and then turn the screw to tighten...THEY BOTH MOVE. Which means the screw and nut tighten to the same place every time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

Not sure if Rick is going to follow up.

The adjustment takes up the free play, so the lever is fully engaged when it is at its farthest point away from the throttle grip. This allows any movement of the lever to be fully transmitted to the plunger and also sets the actuation of the brake light switch on the RSV (I believe). If there were play at this point, you could have to pull the lever in a 1/2" or more before you started engaging brakes and you might then not have enough lever travel to fully engage brakes.

Don't have a good answer as to why clutch don't have same screw.

Gary