IGNORED

When is a good time for the fuel pump to fail?

OB-1

When is a good time for the fuel pump to fail? :confused24:

Answer 1: Never

Answer 2: While at the dealership with warranty in force, pump on the parts shelf, and a waiting mechanic.

Answer 3: While idling in the garage before heading out for a ride.

I'll take answer number 3. I was just going to take a nice little ride past Devil's tower. Checked tire pressures, cleaned windshield, started the bike and let her idle while I called the wife, (she was in town with the grand-kids), when I heard the idle RPM fall off substantially and then the engine died. Ended the phone call and went to see what was wrong with our ever reliable RSV. The bike would just barely start with full choke...hmmm, not good.

Further troubleshooting revealed an intermittent fuel pump. Thanks to this website and the many helpful and knowledgeable folks here, my wife, (remember she was in town with the grand-kids), is now on her way home with a Mr Gasket #42S fuel pump and fittings. So, God willing, we'll have a new fuel pump on the RSV later tonight!

I'd like to say a special thanks to Ponch for his 9/2/09 post with photos of the Mr Gasket fuel pump and fittings. Your photos made it very easy to explain to my wife and auto-parts guy exactly what was needed.

I disassembled the electrical side of the RSV fuel pump. These things use plunger activated contacts to energize the two solenoid coils that move the plunger, (armature), that pumps the fuel. The contacts on my pump are shot and no amount of cleaning has made the pump reliable.

After examining the stock fuel pump, I would say that these things ought to be replaced at 35,000 to 40,000 miles to ensure reliable operation. Our bike has 43,920 miles.:backinmyday:

Chalk up another save to Ventureider.com!:cool10:

I don't think the mileage factors in on the fuel pump life. It's my understanding that ( for some unknown reason) the fuel pumps for the 06 Models are more prone to failure than any other year models.

When my pump went out last year Bubber sent me a fuel pump from a 03 Venture. That sucker does a nice job and I have had NO problems whatsoever.

Boomer....wh sez putting in a new fuel filter every 6 months is prolly not a bad idea.:cool10:

I don't think the mileage factors in on the fuel pump life. It's my understanding that ( for some unknown reason) the fuel pumps for the 06 Models are more prone to failure than any other year models.

When my pump went out last year Bubber sent me a fuel pump from a 03 Venture. That sucker does a nice job and I have had NO problems whatsoever.

Boomer....wh sez putting in a new fuel filter every 6 months is prolly not a bad idea.:cool10:

What matters on the life of these fuel pumps is the number of contact closures. If we had hour-meters we could get an accurate hours of pump life, but odometers are all we have. Seems like a number of folks have had problems around the the 35,000 to 40,000 mile mark, but I could be wrong.

How many miles did you have on the clock when your pump failed?

Ya gotta be careful with the parts handed out by Bubber as he only gives out the ones that failed the QC inspection...:stirthepot:

A new fuel filter every six months may be a good idea, but they sure are a pain to change.:backinmyday:

Glad you were not on the side of the road some place!! That Ponch is a ok guy, but don`t tell him that!!

K

Yes, Thank You God that I wasn't out riding when the pump failed. :cool10:

As far as that Ponch guy; I won't say anything if you won't.:no-no-no: I'm just glad he posted those four photos.:cool10:

What matters on the life of these fuel pumps is the number of contact closures. If we had hour-meters we could get an accurate hours of pump life, but odometers are all we have. Seems like a number of folks have had problems around the the 35,000 to 40,000 mile mark, but I could be wrong.

How many miles did you have on the clock when your pump failed?

Ya gotta be careful with the parts handed out by Bubber as he only gives out the ones that failed the QC inspection...:stirthepot:

A new fuel filter every six months may be a good idea, but they sure are a pain to change.:backinmyday:

If I recall correctly it was right around 36,000 miles when my pump puked out. The bike was under Warranty but waiting for the Dealer to fix it would have cost me time and I was hankering to make the MD up in Oberlin last year.

There's been quite a few fuel pump failures but my recollection is that it is the 06 Models which is the majority of the failures.

Bubber saved my bacon with the fuel pump he sent me....and at the time I didn't even have the $$$ to pay him for the pump!

I try to change the fuel filter out every time I slap new tennis shoes on the scoot and that seems to be working out ok.:cool10: