IGNORED

What to look for and lookout for on a 86 venture.

I am thinking about picking up a 86 venture. This would be my 6th bike. I am looking for something comfortable for my commute on the highway and mild touring on the weekends with my wife. I came across a venture on line at a local shop. I was going to take a look this week, but first I wanted to know if there was anything I should watch out for. I've owned 80's hondas but the venture is new to me. I found freebird's"A list of known problems on the First Gen Venture". Any other advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Many of the things on that list don't apply to the 86 and later. In particular the frame cracking, 2nd gear and stator overheating should not be of concern.

Some additions:

Plastic pieces are getting scarce and expensive when they can be had.

There is occasionally a problem with the pinion gear and middle gear. The nut that holds the bearing pre-load can snap off the respective shafts. The motorcycle will still go though so it may not be apparent. I had a pinion snap and the bearing made a groan when coasting. The middle gear should be similar, but it might be under load rather than coasting. Listen for any change in drivetrain sound between accelerating and coasting. These are major fixes.

There is a whistle sound from the primary gear set. If you poke around here you'll see some 2nd gen (96+) owners find it very bothersome. The sound is inherent in the straight cut gears used and is entirely normal. Listen for it though and make sure it isn't going to annoy you. Mine sounds like crickets at about 3K RPM, other people call it a whine.

Other than those things it's just like any other older bike. You need to have a close look at maintenance items (tires, brake and clutch fluid, etc.).

The plug between the stator and the bike wiring harness often overheats and fails. It's an easy fix. If you buy you might ask here how to check/maintain/repair it.

One other tip:

The air suspension controller (CLASS) will only work with the key in the ACC position. It is completely dead when the motorcycle is on. This is normal, and to prevent monkeying with it while riding.