IGNORED

2720 won"t acquire satellites

Went for a short ride today and my Garmin 2720 won't acquire any sattelites.... It worked fine 3 days ago...I keep my bike in my garage and its pretty humid in there because I'm always hosing out the dog kennel....do you think this is a humidity problem? Brought it in the house and have it near my air conditioner hoping it will " dry " out..I have a nuvi 250 that I can use when I go to MD...Just wondering if I'm on the right track....I'D rather have my 2720...I'M just more comfortable using it...Any ideas.........:sign67: ps... I have power and all other systems seem to work just fine except for the navagating.............

Guest tx2sturgis

Make sure its not in simulation mode. If it still wont play nice, try doing a full reset. It usually involves some long press of the screen and/or a hold on the power switch. Look in the manual near the back, under troubleshooting.

I bought an auxiliary antenna for my quest GPS when I got that error and it seemed to fix the issue and gives me a bit better coverage and response time thank the built in antenna used to. I think the antenna fits most Garmin gps.s and looks like a satellite radio antenna. I think it was 25 bucks.

Brian

Spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Garmin....they tried everything they could think of to get it to work....install new drivers , re boot, upgrading everything they could think of to no avail........I told them I would send it in for repair and then I was told ,it is to old and they don't repair the 2720's any more...YIKES...The young lady finally told me she can try one more thing but it is a long shot.....well ,we wiped out the memory and started anew....just as I was about to give up (10 minutes) it acquired one satellite..... hurray... she told me to keep it on for at least 1/2 hour........then it acquired 2, then 3 ,then 4....ha yoo...its alive....of course everything is wiped clean as far as favorite locations and poi's... thats OK...its alive...she emailed me the instructions in case I ever needed to do that again NOW, I can find Oberlin and Don's house....:fatsmiley: :fnd_(16):

Take the battery out of it and place BOTh in a zip lock plastic bag full of white rice..

Zip it shut and leave it for two days..

Should be fine.... just like my two cell phones..:rotf:

Take the battery out of it and place BOTh in a zip lock plastic bag full of white rice..

Zip it shut and leave it for two days..

Should be fine.... just like my two cell phones..:rotf:

what batteries ??....it dont have any..............hard wired in..............:fnd_(16):

Guest tx2sturgis
......of course everything is wiped clean as far as favorite locations and poi's... thats OK...its alive...

If you will d/l the free software on Garmins website you can plug that or any gps into your computer and save all your favorites, routes, poi's and anything else you have added. That way you will have a backup of all your info and you can re-install the data on any other Garmins, and some other brands as well.

If you will d/l the free software on Garmins website you can plug that or any gps into your computer and save all your favorites, routes, poi's and anything else you have added. That way you will have a backup of all your info and you can re-install the data on any other Garmins, and some other brands as well.

Now you tell me :doh:..........but its still working..:dancefool:

Kinda suprising they said they won't support the 2720 anylonger. At least last year they would have let me send in my 2730 for repair. Apparently the threat of being shipped off was enough for the 2730 to work and has worked ever since. Only time it gives me issues is sometimes it wants me to calibrate the screen. All I have to do is hit the map button and all is good again. I actually can't calibrate it. I touch all the spots but then tells me calibration was not successful. Oh well it works fine. The only other issue is when you are in map mode, sometimes it will jump to the screen as if you touched the screen so you can move around in the map. I have noticed it only seems to do this when the cursor is at the same spot as the arrow showing your location. My only complaint is it doesn't work worth a crud in the car. It will easily lose the sat. signal. Even if I push the gps all the way towards the front of the windshield and on a perfectly clear day. It doesn't lose a signal on the bike so not sure why it does in the car. Also have noticed that if it starts to heat up that is typically when it acts up. When it stays cool, it works fine.

I now have a 2820 that I recently bought from e-bay. It works flawlessly and don't have any of the issues like I do on the 2730.