IGNORED

computer help

rod

I have a HP laptop running Vista home and it is having problems. It has recovery on the D: drive when I click on it it gives me a worning screen. How do I open/run it? Do I have to go to command prompt and run? Thanks Rod

p.s. I have the win 7 upgradedidisk could I run that and not carry over my problems?

If you are having significant problems, I would not try to upgrade the computer. You are going in the right direction to run the HP recovery first.

The recovery is available through the Start menu - probably in a folder labeled HP. If you cannot find it, go to the HP web site, enter y our computer model number in the support section, and search for recovery - all the information will be there.

Goose

May have a virus on your pc.

Don't know your system model but this is one way to restore your system: "You may not need to have recovery discs to perform a System Recovery. The recovery information is contained on a partition on the hard drive. Recovery discs are necessary in case the recovery partition is not functioning properly. If your computer originally came with Windows 7 or Vista, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F11 to access the recovery information on the hard drive. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery. For more information about System Recovery, see one of the following HP Support documents."

You could also hit f8, start it in safemode with networking, this bypasses starting up any viruses, download a program called '' Malwarebytes'' from www.malwarebytes.org if I'm right, or search for it. Be sure to update it at the end of installing it. Run it at full scan, and theres a good chance of correcting things and not having to reinstall windows. Good luck, this also allows you to save things to a external harddrive like pics, documents, music, favorites before you do it over if need be.