IGNORED

No Modification Necessary

SilvrT

After reading jer878's thread about his new Wing I got to wondering....

We go out and buy a new or fairly new bike and some of the firsts thing we start doing is modifying them. Handle bar risers, Air Wings, Levelling links, Progressive springs, .... the list seems endless (and none of this involves safety chrome). And we're told that the front bearings need to be lubed and torqued, the hub pins are dry and need to be lubed, etc, etc...

DANG!!! does anybody make a bike that doesn't need so much adjustments and modifications so a guy can just get on the danged thing and ride it without having to change this, adjust that, and lube what the factory didn't????

Something is wrong with this picture!

I think a lot of this does come down to.... we want.... to do this do that. Yes any machine that is a few years old most likely needs a good going over because the guy that sold it after only 2 or 3 years likely only did what the dealer told them they had to do to keep warrenty.

And I guess... it know for me..... the bike is a play thing. Do you want to be upstairs watching "The Good Wife" or "The Office" reruns on TV with the wife or do you want to be in the garage playing with the bike?

The better you know that machine the more comfortable you will be with it on and off the road and the safer you know it will be.

I don't want a machine that I cannot play with ... it is who I am. And like the custom cars of yester-year we need to make it ours.

:Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture: :Venture:

:smile11: :smile11: :smile11::smile11: :smile11:

We go out and buy a new or fairly new bike and some of the firsts thing we start doing is modifying them. Handle bar risers, Air Wings, Levelling links, Progressive springs, .... the list seems endless (and none of this involves safety chrome). And we're told that the front bearings need to be lubed and torqued, the hub pins are dry and need to be lubed, etc, etc...

DANG!!! does anybody make a bike that doesn't need so much adjustments and modifications so a guy can just get on the danged thing and ride it without having to change this, adjust that, and lube what the factory didn't????

So true! My biggest complaint on the Wing was the head bearing. Very poorly designed with plastic outer races.(retainers for the bearings) The other stuff in my case is wants but I sure like the feel of the risers and springs. If it weren't for the wife's comfy the wind stuff wouldn't bother me. Edited by Tom

I think a lot of this does come down to.... we want.... to do this do that. Yes any machine that is a few years old most likely needs a good going over because the guy that sold it after only 2 or 3 years likely only did what the dealer told them they had to do to keep warrenty.

And I guess... it know for me..... the bike is a play thing. Do you want to be upstairs watching "The Good Wife" or "The Office" reruns on TV with the wife or do you want to be in the garage playing with the bike?

The better you know that machine the more comfortable you will be with it on and off the road and the safer you know it will be.

I don't want a machine that I cannot play with ... it is who I am. And like the custom cars of yester-year we need to make it ours.

For the most point Kevin, I agree with you. But I'm not talking about those things we "want" to do .... it's those things we almost have to do ... like having to grease the hub pins on a virtually new bike because the factory doesn't put enough on to begin with.... or having to change the head bearings because of poor design, or knowing that the chances of having to replace the rear shock long before it should be due is almost inevitable. Just a few examples that I can think of out of so many that seem to come to light in here.

How many other "issues" are there on these bikes (not just Yammis). What about Harleys for example ... let's hear from some of the owners here on what they've found that needed "fixing" almost right away or perhaps long before it really should have due to poor design or whatever.

For some reason, motorcycles aren't like cages ... most of the time, you can buy a new or slightly used cage and drive that thing for a few years and several thousand miles before having to do anything other than regular maintenance.

I'm just raising this for discussion coz I figgured it might be interesting and again, coz I was "wondering" ... and even tho I have stuff to do at work, I'm procrastinating ... LOL

So true! My biggest complaint on the Wing was the head bearing. Very poorly designed with plastic outer races.(retainers for the bearings) The other stuff in my case is wants but I sure like the feel of the risers and springs. If it weren't for the wife's comfy the wind stuff wouldn't bother me.

Now there's a good example ... risers on a Wing to adjust for a better riding position... the 1st gen Ventures had adjustable handlebars. I believe some BMW's do to...?? Why not all touring style bikes and more specifically why not a Wing, the so-called "King of touring bikes"? :confused24:

First, nothing wrong with the picture. I'm not the same size as you. If I were to buy a new bicycle (or used, for that matter), I would have to adjust the seat height, handlebars, etc., to make it fit me. If you got on it, it would not fit you. Even if we weigh the same & are the same height, my legs, torso, arms are different lengths compared to yours. If I were to drive your car, same thing: I'd have to adjust the seat, steering column, mirrors, etc., so it would be comfortable for me. You'd hate those changes because it wouldn't fit you. Second, nothing is perfect. Things are generically designed, so it will be reasonably close to what "everyman" likes. Minor, sometimes major, tweaks are always necessary. OK. End of practicality explanation.

Hey, it's fun making it our own with what we add, change, remove. Sometimes it's just an experiment. Often it's unnecessary. But, it's mine. I'll do what I want. Doesn't have to suit anyone but me (well, maybe the wife, too). If I think something "improves" the bike, that's all that matters. If you think it detracts from the bike, doesn't matter to me. To each his/her own. Besides, if every RSV, Gold Wing, "whatever bike" were the same as every other, wouldn't it be boring? The differences in the same bike, car, boat, etc., makes things interesting. Applies to people, too. Gives us something to talk/argue about. Without the different things we do & like, everything & everyone would be the same. How depressing would that be?!?! No one needs another "me" out there. (Ask some who know me. :rotf:)

Anyway, I like to see what others have done to their bikes. Sometimes I'll incorporate others' ideas. Sometimes it gives me a new idea. Sometimes I might even shake my head in disbelief, but, that's OK, too.

Yes, it can be annoying when things aren't made the way we think they should be. Still, we don't have to acquire it, or we can move on to something else &...

...LET THE TINKERING BEGIN AGAIN! :mo money:

Food for thought on your question(s).

When Excelsior Henderson was trying to get back in the game, they had three Ergonomic Engineers on staff to design seats, handle bar positions, foot placement, etc. Unfortunately, for some reason the Hanlen Bros didn't feel that it was necessary that these Engineers also be riders. So, like so many professionals, while they had the technical knowledge, they had no practical experience upon which to base their designs. :bang head:

A lot of it depends on the person and how they view things. My interest does not include looking for things to work on my rsv but I do maintain it, not to the extent that some do but oil, filter, etc. yes. I don't care about leveling links, lowering kit, yada, yada, yada. I don't add "safety chrome" but I have added lighting, a trunk rack, back rest as I get use out of those. That's my style, Some buy to modify but I find good riding in almost stock. Not knocking those who do all that is posted but we all don't do that and so far have had no problems. It has to do with personalities as much as mechanics.

Hey, it's fun making it our own with what we add, change, remove.

I don't disagree with that and I have done a fair amount of that to mine but.... why, for example, should a guy have to pull the rear wheel and lube the DRY hub pins within 1000 miles of new?? That is one example and there definately is something wrong with that picture.