IGNORED

Now taht its warm I smell fuel

muaymendez1

i have put 1200 miles on this new to me bike without any problems. The last few rides it has gotten over 60 fareheit and I have been smelling fuel.

i know this is not normal because one goldiwng I had smelled like that but yet no other bike except for this one have this problem.

I checke dthe vent tube in front, fuel cap is on, No visible leaks.

I have sat down watching carefully while reving the throttle and no leaks. This is a bit disturbing because I start smelling like fuel.

Any ideas??

That is a problem that can be very difficult to diagnose. There are a number of things that can cause it. The first thing I would check is to make sure that the carb boots are seated properly on top of the carbs. I've seen them slip off at the top, especially if the clamps are TOO tight.

If that is OK, then it starts being a game of trying different things until you find the culprit. It is possible that you have a cylinder that is not firing properly and not burning all the fuel. These bikes run pretty darn good with one dead cylinder. You could have a bad coil.

That is where I would start.

As Don mentioned it could be a multitude of things. Perhaps you have a piece of dirt on one of the needle valves causing a leak thru the overflow. You may want to try running a can of Seafoam thru your tank and see if that helps. You use a half can per tankful and drive it like a rental or you stole it...

Now taht you mention a dead cylinder I have noticed a raspy sound comming from one of my 2 mufflers on the right side. Everything sounds deep and throaty but the theres that lil raspy sound. I thought that was the nature of the beast. I will take a look at the intake because I know I did snug em pretty tight.

I tried to get an allan wrench on the exhaust nuts to crank em a bit more but I need a longer thinner tool. Im sure ill find it, It just may take me the season!!!