IGNORED

river stages around cairo ill.

Snarley Bill

does any one in the vicinity of the cairo, illinois no how the flooding situation is? i have to cross the river near there to get to b2 mom &dads meet next friday. i will be coming down highway 55 in missouri, and heading through kentucky to tennessee. last year my gps took me right to the motel in martin, tennessee. :depressed:

as of right now the towns people are getting to go home now but i think hwy 60 from Cairo to wicklife is still closed if i get a chance i might run over there this weekend to see but be very carefull going in to Cairo the roads are real bad big sink holes every where according to the news. seeya at B2Bdads

Cairo is where my parents are from, I used to spend my summers there back in the 50's & 60's,, it wasnt nearly as bad then, but now its a ghost town, I still have a cousin in a rest home there. I used to have bunches of relatives living there but they all moved away as Cario was dying. Last time I was there it almost made me cry to see how bad things really are there. They used to have great BBQ there the one I liked best was MAC's, it was right across the street from my uncles house, the other was Shimwells BBQ. The owners of both were friend of my parents, and my dad worked at Mac's before he and my mom married. Mac's is gone now, dont know about Shimwells...............

Edited by DragonRider

People are getting to go back in their homes. As soon as I know something, Bill, I will post it. You may want to cross around St. Louis and drive down I-57 to I-24 and come in to Paducah, KY and then down Hwy 45. Not much further than the other way and I know those bridges are open. but will get back to you on Cairo as soon as I hear something.

thay have reopened hiway that runs from cairo to wicklife last night (sunday). this morning the news said that at one time the road was 10' under water they had to do some repairs on the shoulder and get the mud off but it is ok to use.

Cairo is where my parents are from, I used to spend my summers there back in the 50's & 60's,, it wasnt nearly as bad then, but now its a ghost town, I still have a cousin in a rest home there. I used to have bunches of relatives living there but they all moved away as Cario was dying. Last time I was there it almost made me cry to see how bad things really are there. They used to have gret BBQ there the one I liked best was MAC's, it was right across the street from my uncles house, the other was Shimwells BBQ. The owners of both were friend of my parents, and my dad worked at Mac's before he and my mom married. Mac's is gone now, dont know about Shimwells...............

It's still there and does a respectable business.

Yes, the bridge is open, however, once you cross into Kentucky, you will be on Hwy 51 and there are two places that are still closed to traffic. Not sure if it will be open by Friday...not looking good yet. I hope to call Kentucky Dept of Trans tomorrow and see about the road. If it remains closed, you may have to go farther down I-55 and cross into Tennessee at Dyersburg...then you can catch Hwy 51 NORTH to Hwy 22 which will take you into Martin and the hotel.

Been keeping my eye on the roads to the North too...only thing you should be running into is construction. Kentucky Dept of Transportation says from Cincinnati to Louisville (I-71) is open but roads are under construction. Watch for workers! You should be able to come down to Bowling Green and then to Martin, TN via West KY Parkway.

I think you will be fine.

Let me know if you need more exact directions.

Patti

It's still there and does a respectable business.

I from Arlington Ky, just 25 miles from Cairo. Worked at Burkarts foam factory for years. Ate at Mac's and Shimwells, good BBQ. Makes me sad when I pass through Cairo and all the small towns in that area, they are all dying.

I from Arlington Ky, just 25 miles from Cairo. Worked at Burkarts foam factory for years. Ate at Mac's and Shimwells, good BBQ. Makes me sad when I pass through Cairo and all the small towns in that area, they are all dying.

Yes its sad they are dying but there are still hundreds of people that live and have everything they own there. Lets not write them off. Towns all over the Midwest and south have died out for years and its heart breaking to see. Prosperous people once, now trying to scrape out enough to eat. Then we flood them out to sacrifice others and that becomes more sad. Floods are not good and people suffer, but like tornado's and earthquakes you are subject to mother nature. Thousands of your American tax payers were flooded and are being flooded because the COE has chosen to sacrifice them to save the bigger population. I know how it is since my home just re-wrote the movie "A river runs thought it". There is even a darker side to the story that most people have no clue about.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please let me add this. Hwy 60 should be back open but it will be rough so be careful. No sure thing if any roads will not be closed at any give time to be repaired.

Folks, I was not trying to hijack this thread. Ten of thousands of tax paying, hard working family's have been or will be in the next few weeks wiped out! Not just the Mississippi river area but dozens of tributary rivers hundreds of miles from the Mississippi. In our area we had 19 inches of rain in 6 days. People who lived on normal higher ground found themselves flooded. Add to that, the government has decided who should be spared down stream and who should be sacrificed. Ain't that just peachy. Keep good thought for those that are losing everything when they have been chosen to be sacrificed. Also, study the facts that they will not be helped by government funds. Those go for city infrastructure not the rural farmers and homes.

NOTE: Moderators, this is not a political post but simply information put forward to my fellow members to inform them of the current situation. I'm sure we have many other forum members who are in deep trouble right now from mother natures wrath.