IGNORED

1st Gen Handle Bar Adjustment ?

Can the handle bars on an 89 VR be moved closer. Closer meaning so the grips are brought closer together so my arms are not so far appart. Maybe 2 inches for each side. If that can be done, then can the bars be moved higher. Higher meaning so the grips are raised some. Because by bring the grips in a couple inches the grips I think drops some, so need to compensate by raising the grip position.

I'm not wanting to do any extreme adjustments.

This would allow me to sit back a little more onto my backrest which is already at its most forward position.

Lastly what type of slow extremely speed handleing or manuvering balance might I encounter if the adjustments are possible. I'm only about 170lb, 5' 8" and so I can't man handle the VR.

Can the handle bars on an 89 VR be moved closer. Closer meaning so the grips are brought closer together so my arms are not so far appart. Maybe 2 inches for each side. If that can be done, then can the bars be moved higher. Higher meaning so the grips are raised some. Because by bring the grips in a couple inches the grips I think drops some, so need to compensate by raising the grip position.

I'm not wanting to do any extreme adjustments.

This would allow me to sit back a little more onto my backrest which is already at its most forward position.

Lastly what type of slow extremely speed handleing or manuvering balance might I encounter if the adjustments are possible. I'm only about 170lb, 5' 8" and so I can't man handle the VR.

Sure. Just remove the ignition cover and loosen the nuts. Then lift the riser and rotated where ever you want. There is also some adjustment of the grips by loosening the nut at the top of the riser. There's a write up on the progressive install in the tech section. You should have run across this when investigating the Progressive Springs.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=505

Yes, as Jack mentioned, but there is a limit to how far you can get them back! This has been a big time issue with some of us vertically challenged riders of 1st gens! I was going to have a set of splined spacers made up to bring the whole assembly back an inch or 2 but ended up getting a 2nd gen instead. At least 2nd gens can have risers installed and different handlebar assemblies...