IGNORED

Battery is old or something else??

Hi,

I have an '07 RSV and after about 4 rides this spring the battery is almost dead. I purchased the bike used in August of '09 and so the last 2 winters it's been on a Battery Tender Junior.

I went to go for a ride yesterday but it wouldn't turn over so I cleaned and tightened the battery connections under the seat and left it on the BTJ overnight but when I tried to start it the AM the lights come on but the battery only seems to have enough power to engage the starter but not turn the engine over.

Thanks

Mark - I am not a mechanical or battery expert, although I have had my share of bad batteries. When my last battery lost its charge, I tried started my bike with a power pack. Worked like a charm, and that confirmed for me that the problem was my battery. I went with a Deka battery that many on the site reccomend, and now I wouldn't go any other way for my 1st gen.

Hi,

I have an '07 RSV and after about 4 rides this spring the battery is almost dead. I purchased the bike used in August of '09 and so the last 2 winters it's been on a Battery Tender Junior.

I went to go for a ride yesterday but it wouldn't turn over so I cleaned and tightened the battery connections under the seat and left it on the BTJ overnight but when I tried to start it the AM the lights come on but the battery only seems to have enough power to engage the starter but not turn the engine over.

Thanks

Motorcycle batteries lead a very hard life, and the regular Lead/Acid ones don't last all that long.

I pay about $50 for mine at Walmart, and they are as good as any but I don't expect to get more than a couple of seasons out of them.

The AGM and Gel batteries, while vastly more expensive not only last longer but actually deliver more too.

Any autoparts store will confirm the health of your battery ... or lack thereof.

First step would be to check if the battery has a full charge with a volt meter. Assuming it does not then the battery is likely to have run its life out. The next question is your battery charging when the bike is running. My bike had a bad stator that had to be replaced (under warranty) which was the reason my battery failed last year. I replaced the battery with a Deka battery but would not keep full charge because the stator was bad. I ultimately found the answer by attaching a Battery Bug meter which showed the lack of charging to the battery.

Hopefully, only your battery needs replacing but don't overlook the charging components of the bike. I to use a battery tender which is what made me suspicious because after a ride it would take the tender all night plus to recharge the battery. :080402gudl_prv:

First step would be to check if the battery has a full charge with a volt meter. Assuming it does not then the battery is likely to have run its life out. The next question is your battery charging when the bike is running. My bike had a bad stator that had to be replaced (under warranty) which was the reason my battery failed last year. I replaced the battery with a Deka battery but would not keep full charge because the stator was bad. I ultimately found the answer by attaching a Battery Bug meter which showed the lack of charging to the battery.

Hopefully, only your battery needs replacing but don't overlook the charging components of the bike. I to use a battery tender which is what made me suspicious because after a ride it would take the tender all night plus to recharge the battery. :080402gudl_prv:

This is good advice. Actually, any decent voltmeter will give you that info .. The Battery Bug is a bit pricey :)

Stick a multi-meter across the terminals with the engine running at around 3000 rpm.

The voltage should be around 14.5V.

If it's below 14 there is a charging problem ... either a ground or wiring issue, or a bad stator. If it's above 15V then the Reg/Rec is on it's way out and should be replaced before it blows all your bulbs and wrecks the new battery.

If ya need a battery the DEKA AGM is about the best you can get. Even American made and close to bullet proof. Check with skydoc_17 and check it out. Going to be under $100 bucks even with shipping I think.

Mine is going into it's third season and still going as strong as the day I bought it.

Mike

Yah!! I'm thinking that after being on a charger all night, it should have been ready to go!! If it started and then after a ride would not, then I would suspect something in the charging system, but if it won't start after being on a charger, the battery is most likely toast...

A battery tender will not charge a battery.... period.. If your battery has been getting progressively worse then you need to check the charging circut to make sure it's putting out around 14.2 vdc. If it isn't it could be the stator or the rectifier. If it is putting out it's time to replace the batt.

A battery tender will not charge a battery.... period.. If your battery has been getting progressively worse then you need to check the charging circut to make sure it's putting out around 14.2 vdc. If it isn't it could be the stator or the rectifier. If it is putting out it's time to replace the batt.

Sure it will :)

It won't charge a flat battery quickly, but it will indeed charge it.

Scroll down this page and take a look:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305073802&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Mv5H48XQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Mv5H48XQL[/ame]

Sure it will :)

It won't charge a flat battery quickly, but it will indeed charge it.

Scroll down this page and take a look:

That link is for the Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V charger. You didn't mention that in your first post... :) The one you mentioned was the Jr., and at .75 amps you'd better pack a lunch..

That link is for the Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V charger. You didn't mention that in your first post... :) The one you mentioned was the Jr., and at .75 amps you'd better pack a lunch..

The Junior is on that page :) ... That will charge too. You are correct about the lunch ... and dinner.

I don't know if your battery takes water but if it does I would check the level. I've used the battery tender also and it eventually burnt the water up in the battery. Once filled back up with distilled water all was fine.

Im gonna take a shot that this is the original battery. Its now 4 years old. Dont mess around..get a new Deka. But make sure your charging system is doing what it should be doing as well.

For some peace of mind, take the battery out and have it load tested. But at 4 years old, id get that Deka.