IGNORED

3-4 windshield for summer

That should do it, but I think that the wind comming off of the fairing is going to rip your head off, Gunboat lost his wind sheild last year and road home with out one, said the wind about took him off the bike...but good luck and let us know how it goes.

K

I have been thinking about cutting a windshield down to 3-4 inches for a summer windshield on my 2000 RSV. Anybody try anything like this? Would like some more wind to keep me cool for summer riding.

Bob

Sit astride you bike with small object about 50 foot in front. Mark the screen in a direct line between your eyes and the object.

Cut to that height.

That will give you a screen that is at about nose level ... Just below your eyes. A screen that height will still lift virtually all wind, dust, bugs etc higher than your face, and about the right height to max out helmet vents.

You will see over it easily yet still be able to get down behind it if you want to.

I can't comment on the 50' thing one way or the other, but...

I personally would cut it down in one inch increments and take it for a test ride 70 80 90 mph.... Make sure you use the profile of your upper windshield and cut with a very sharp utility knife(on both sides).

Then whenever you cut with your jigsaw stay away from these cuts on the outer edge about 1/16 of an inch. Don't round over or sand until you are pleased with it.

i personally duct tape the bottom edge of my jigsaw and not the windshield as the anti scratch coating can come loose when you pull the tape off..

Look up veneere cutting on internet.... :backinmyday:

Hello: I could not see through my shield in the rain and the OEM shield was too tall for me to look over comfortably. I am 5'7" tall, the 50' foot rule for me indicated my shield should be 17" tall. After failed attempts to purchase an OEM shield that did work for me. I finally cut the windshield on my 05 RSTD down using directions found on this site. Really happy with the results. I recommend putting blue painter's tape on both sides of the windshield. Using a piece of poster board mark the curve of your exisitng windshield on it and cut along the curved line. Determine how much you wish to cut off of your exisiting shield. Cut that amount off of the bottom of the poster board and then tape the poster board in place. Cover the cutting table on your jig saw with painters tape to avoid scratching the shield. Use a fine tooth blade and cut slowly along the curve. Use a file or rasp to shape the edges and fine sand paper to finish off the edge. Peel off the blue painters tape when finished. I cut off 2" to start with. Be careful not to take too much off, what seems fine for the driver will cause more wind on your passenger. If momma is not happy no one is happy. Hope this helps?:080402gudl_prv: