IGNORED

CB Mic help.

ken

Just picked up a Astatic 636L noise canceling hand held mic. This mic is 4 pin so I also got the 5 pin din adaptor to go with it. Well, I tried it out and all I get is feed back through the mic. I have an older sears 5 pin that work sso the problems has to be in the wiring in the mic, I think? Does any one know what I need to do to correct the problem?

Ok let me add to the problem. I dug out an old CB to see if anything was transmitting. Well, yes there is! But it's the same feed back I'm getting on the bike which is a loud squeal, and I was wrong the older mic is doing the same thing.

I dont know much on the matter,but my riding friend use`s a cb mike on his venture and it works great.only thing diffferent i see is most cb mics have a female end like what hangs on are ventures,his is a 5 plug male end. He said its a cb mic he pick up off ebay. If any help

I dont know much on the matter,but my riding friend use`s a cb mike on his venture and it works great.only thing diffferent i see is most cb mics have a female end like what hangs on are ventures,his is a 5 plug male end. He said its a cb mic he pick up off ebay. If any help

yes, there is a mic designed for use on Harleys that will work, but they're hard to find now. Plus, the Venture's PTT is built into the left side controls. I don't know about the Harleys.

You need to run separate wires and tie into the PTT circuit and make sure the leads match as far as your mic and the mic inputs on the bike. If the noise cancelling part is supposed to be powered that is another issue you will have to deal with. You can make a cord to go between the mic and the bike input to separate the PTT leads or cut the 4 pin off and wire it into a 5 pin and separate the leads from there.

Attach the white and shield to the mic input and the red and blue for PTT.

Picture 2.jpg

Edited by etcswjoe

You need to run separate wires and tie into the PTT circuit and make sure the leads match as far as your mic and the mic inputs on the bike. If the noise cancelling part is supposed to be powered that is another issue you will have to deal with. You can make a cord to go between the mic and the bike input to separate the PTT leads or cut the 4 pin off and wire it into a 5 pin and separate the leads from there.

ya that sounds right and i was wrong forgot what plug was on the bike benn out on the road to long

Hey Joe, Thanks for the help here. I think I will just install the 5 pin din. So if I understand what your are telling me I will need to attach the white and shield to position #1 on the diagram. Where will the red and blue go?

Wiring for Astatic 636L microphone

White - audio

Shield - ground

Red - transmit

Yellow - power

Blue - common

Black - receive

There are 4 components that are needed in a microphone. Switch(2 wires) and audio(shield and audio line).

You should refer to the wiring diagram for the bike to determine which wires will be necessary for your application. The most likely reason you have feedback is because you have the audio line mixed up with another.

I have no experience with that particular microphone but have many years with other Astatic models, especially the Astatic D104. Best of luck to you getting it figured out.

Hey Joe, Thanks for the help here. I think I will just install the 5 pin din. So if I understand what your are telling me I will need to attach the white and shield to position #1 on the diagram. Where will the red and blue go?

The blue and the red will go to the wires coming form the PTT switch I believe they are Black/white and white coming out of the handlebar switch and Black/white White/blue after the first connector you may want to verify this. I will pull the fairing and check this when I get back form riding tomorrow.

The blue and the red will go to the wires coming form the PTT switch I believe they are Black/white and white coming out of the handlebar switch and Black/white White/blue after the first connector you may want to verify this. I will pull the fairing and check this when I get back form riding tomorrow.

Am I able to do this with just using the 5 pin din and just push both PPT, the handle bar one and the cb mic one at the same time?

Am I able to do this with just using the 5 pin din and just push both PPT, the handle bar one and the cb mic one at the same time?

No what you have to do is have a separate set of wires for the key. You could use the PTT on the handle bars but it would not be safe holding the mike and using the PTT at the same time. The only signal that will go through the 5 pin din to the bike will be audio. If you like I will draw up a diagram. The mic I have has a cord that goes between the mic and the 5 pin din that has a separate wire that you run to the PTT circuit. On a side note, using a handheld mic can lessen your reaction time if you get into a situation while holding the mic.

No what you have to do is have a separate set of wires for the key. You could use the PTT on the handle bars but it would not be safe holding the mike and using the PTT at the same time. The only signal that will go through the 5 pin din to the bike will be audio. If you like I will draw up a diagram. The mic I have has a cord that goes between the mic and the 5 pin din that has a separate wire that you run to the PTT circuit. On a side note, using a handheld mic can lessen your reaction time if you get into a situation while holding the mic.

Hey Joe, I really appreciate your help with this mic project. When it comes to electrial I'm pretty helpless. If you get a chance the diagram you mentioned would be a great help.

Thanks Ken

Ken

Attached is the drawing and some pics to give you an idea. If you need more help PM me or give me a call.

Ok Joe, I think I understand now. The cord looks like a special cord. Where would I locate one?

Well Joe, I got it. I studied the digrams you posted for sometime and came up with this.

I took the white wire from the mic and plugged it into position 1 (mic) on the 5 pin din on the bike and the shield wire into the mic ground position 4 on the 5 pin din. I then took apart the mic, drilled a hole the the PTT lever with it pressed and put in a screw to hold it in the depressed position. Now I can talk with mic by just pushing the handle bar PTT.

Thanks a million for the help. Ken:)

Well Joe, I got it. I studied the digrams you posted for sometime and came up with this.

I took the white wire from the mic and plugged it into position 1 (mic) on the 5 pin din on the bike and the shield wire into the mic ground position 4 on the 5 pin din. I then took apart the mic, drilled a hole the the PTT lever with it pressed and put in a screw to hold it in the depressed position. Now I can talk with mic by just pushing the handle bar PTT.

Thanks a million for the help. Ken:)

Dude, I am going to real open here. That is NOT what Joe suggested you do. He has tried to help you set it up properly, and you keep digging for shortcuts.

How are you going to operate this thing? Press the handlebar PTT with your left hand while holding the mic to your mouth with your right hand? So I guess you are doing this with the cruise control on? A properly set-up hand held mic is already a safety compromise on a bike (probably why you cannot find one already made anymore). Your setup seems to be major safety liability.

Please save yourself alot of grief and buy a quality headset. Or at least follow Joe's advice COMPLETELY.

Okay, now you hate me. That's ok.

Dude, I am going to real open here. That is NOT what Joe suggested you do. He has tried to help you set it up properly, and you keep digging for shortcuts.

How are you going to operate this thing? Press the handlebar PTT with your left hand while holding the mic to your mouth with your right hand? So I guess you are doing this with the cruise control on? A properly set-up hand held mic is already a safety compromise on a bike (probably why you cannot find one already made anymore). Your setup seems to be major safety liability.

Please save yourself alot of grief and buy a quality headset. Or at least follow Joe's advice COMPLETELY.

Ken,

If you do not belive you can make the adapter cord send me your mic and remburse me for the parts and I will build it for you but please do not do the workaround for the reasons stated by outkast.

Wow! I guess you don’t understand. What I’ve done is basically the same set up Joe suggested but without the patch cord. The mic is mounted on my cup holder and the PTT on the mic is fixed in the TX position. So all I have to do is use the PTT on the handle bar and lean a little forward and talk (both hands still in the bar). No safety issues. This will allow me to wear my shorty or no helmet and still be able to talk with friends.