Is this the part number I need for my '85? The boat place and BB does not show it for '85 and earlier. I need two hard and two soft washers. I can't readh the fische for mine.

12R-14105-00-00

BB has it but shows three listings and a boat place has it for cheaper.

Boat place - http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-12R-14105-00-00.html

BB - http://www.bikebandit.com/search-products?q=12R+14105+00+00&ch=1&sc=9&br=yamaha#productlist

Edited by GigaWhiskey
forgot to add the part number.

Hey Brian, I do not think that is it. When looking at 86 and newer fisches, that is on there. You will also see the pilot screw kit there too (#19). When you look at the 83-85 fisches, #19 is not there. I think #19 is what I need but I do not know if these were the same on both the MKI and MKII.

Flatout Parts has the 85 bike's nomenclature messed up (VMX12N???) but they DO show the same item number (22) and also list it at $5.07!

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=735601&category=motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1985&fveh=20015

The VMX12N is the VMax, it has the same carbs as the 86-93 Ventures did.

The VMax & Venture MKII's were 35mm carbs, The MKI's were 34mm's.

This difference in the throat diameter would very possibly cause a change to the Pilot Screw.

Gary

My bad y'all. I titled the thread wrong. It is the pilot screw kit I was looking for not the jet washer.

The pilot screw kit has the washers I need and the price is good enough to get four of them.

I have gone through some posts again and a few other people have run across the same thing but not with a definite answer but one. One guy said he saw the same number listed in a technical bulletin for the 83. My Search-Fu still needs work, lol.

Thanks for the assist guys! Thanks Mike for letting me know that you found the parts interchangeable.

I will order four sets. At least I will know that any idle/sync issues will not be because I have an air leak at the pilot screws like I think I do because I am missing those.

The VMX12N is the VMax, it has the same carbs as the 86-93 Ventures did.

The VMax & Venture MKII's were 35mm carbs, The MKI's were 34mm's.

This difference in the throat diameter would very possibly cause a change to the Pilot Screw.

Gary

So, this could make the needle at the end of the pilot screw a different size?

So, this could make the needle at the end of the pilot screw a different size?

Possibly.

I did a search. Yamaha lists that pilot screw set on 341 different models.

You can bet Mikuni tries to re-use the same parts wherever they can. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot screw is the same on the MKI carb, just Yamaha chose not to sell it separate from the body.

The washer and o-ring are probably the same on even more models. That's what you're after right? I think you'd be pretty safe rolling the dice on a set.

Possibly.

I did a search. Yamaha lists that pilot screw set on 341 different models.

You can bet Mikuni tries to re-use the same parts wherever they can. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot screw is the same on the MKI carb, just Yamaha chose not to sell it separate from the body.

The washer and o-ring are probably the same on even more models. That's what you're after right? I think you'd be pretty safe rolling the dice on a set.

Thanks for the reply. Yup, the washer and o-ring is really all I need. If the needles look the same, I'll use those too.

Are those really o-rings? The two I do have left are flatter than a pancake! lol.

Yup, I dug, scraped, looked with a flashlight, blew often with compressed air and used plenty of PB blaster in all the orifice's. If they were there they are not now.

The other two are so flat they look like super thin washers. I should have a better idle and sync after getting all those refreshed. I wonder if that has been most of my headache the past couple years.

Picked up two because they did not have four at Central Yamaha. I was very surprised to find the parts counter pleasant to deal with this time. I will give them another chance when I need something.

Anyway, the screw looks exactly the same, that really is an o-ring and the spring looked a coil longer (age I guess).

Put them in, ran it and adjusted the screws while running. It ran noticeably smoother. The idle screw came way down from where it was. Holding about 900 rpm fairly well and strong. Still a little vibration though.

I would sync the carbs but it is too hot now for me to stick my fingers in there to put the carb sync hoses on. I will wait until Saturday.