Hi fellow riders. I just installed the Stebel horn in place of the stock horn on the lower right side of my 07 RSV. I used Carbon One's bracket and it works fine. The chrome plastic cover does touch the clutch housing and the exhaust shield. I have not taken it out for a ride yet, was wondering if anyone has had any melting on the chrome plastic cover with this installation. Thanks in advance for your replies.

i've had no trouble with that...........the plastic chrome cover can pop off fairly easy, so, as it was suggested on this site, i put a few dabs of silicone adhesive or something similar on it to keep it on....

Hi fellow riders. I just installed the Stebel horn in place of the stock horn on the lower right side of my 07 RSV. I used Carbon One's bracket and it works fine. The chrome plastic cover does touch the clutch housing and the exhaust shield. I have not taken it out for a ride yet, was wondering if anyone has had any melting on the chrome plastic cover with this installation. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Doesn't seem to be any melting. Put on by PO and I've had it a year and half.

It shouldn't be touching anything, thou as noted the tolerances are tight. Did you have a spacer block between the bracket and horn? If not then add a 1/2" spacer of some kind. Normally the Steble horn comes with a square black plastic block. Try readjusting the posistion a bit as well to gain clearance.

Larry

Thanks for the replies. This horn did not come with a spacer. I will check that out. If a spacer is needed, then I will have to get a longer bolt as well. That shouldn't be a problem. I missed the part about the cover popping off when I was reading the threads on installing the horn. I will make sure it gets some silicone.

Thanks. I knew they were shields but thought they might get hot enough to melt plastic. Just rode about 40 miles and no problem. In fact you can touch the shields with your hand, not hot, surprisingly cool. Thanks again for all the replies.

Venture101,

I've had mine for a yr or 2. No melting.

I actually spent/wasted the extra money and got the show chrome version, which ended up being just a bigger piece of chromed plastic.

As a result, the horn plastic cover pretty much sits against the cover, maybe with a 1/16" of clearnance. I actually had to twist the horn in the CarbonOne bracket clockwise to get the min clearance I reported.

Good news is, a season or 2 later, no problems.

I clear coated the CarbonOne bracket and all is well.

Good luck, enjoy the horn.

Bob

I guess I will be the odd one here. Mine has marks in the top of it (I'll get a picture up later). i don't know if it is melting or if it is just marred from the vibrations and dinking up against the heat shield.

It still toots, so that is really what matters to me.

It still toots, so that is really what matters to me.

Ironically, after writing that last post I went out for some lunch. Some doofus pulled up next to me, in my same lane I pushed the horn button and got nothing but the stock 'tweet'. I was disappointed to say the least. Turns out my voice carries quite well though...

Yesterday I had my annual Texas mandated 'safety inspection' and it worked fine then. Looks like I'll have some troubleshooting to do when I get home...

Regardless, here is the picture.