IGNORED

Cam cover gasket and valve clearances

I have the cam covers off, and the gaskets need replacing.

I read somewhere that the gaskets from a later model (RSV?) were better than the original VR versions.

Does anyone know what part is best?

The valve clearances themselves are just a fraction under the minimum clearances .... maybe .01 to .02mm all round. The engine has 56k on it.

That's actually not bad, especially the very even wear aspect of it so I will leave them alone for the summer and check again in the Fall. By that time I can find out which shims I'll need, and won't mind waiting for them. In the meantime it will come to no harm.

Thanks.

Hey Steven,

The Second Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets do fit better, and are easier to install on the First Gen. motors. As far as the valve clearances go, as the motor accumulates miles, the valve clearance will continue to get tighter out of spec. Personally, If I had my valve covers off, I would adjust the valves. I keep the Second Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets in Stock, if you purchase the gaskets from me, I will send my shim kit and adjuster tool with the gaskets, you will restock any used shims, and if you brake the tool, you will replace it.

This is an open offer by the way, to ANY VR.ORG member who needs to adjust their valves. If I can help you with this project, please feel free to PM me. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks Earl.

I'll take you up on that offer, but it can wait a little while. Getting the covers off wasn't that hard with a decent 10mm ratchet wrench.

I'll buy those gaskets from you, and you have a few other bits I will want too, so a decent order can be put together.

It has taken 56000 miles for my valves to wear "just" out of spec ... The good news is that the bike, although sadly neglected in the last few years, has been fairly well looked after.

The Progressive fork springs were another nice surprise.

I will be needing a set of braided brake lines and possibly the anti dive covers too.

I haven't done a compression test yet, but I am really not expecting any nasty surprises. The priority now is to have it running and get 50 to 100 fast freeway miles under the wheels. That will tell me a lot more.

Cosmetically the thing is a mixed bag, and it might stay looking a bit rough for a while until I can replace or repair some plastic parts, but it will run like a sewing machine :) ... only faster.

Right .... A few corrections are needed here.

I have now measured all the valve clearances and they are a mixed bag:

Cylinder 1

Exh 0.14mm

Exh 0.15

Inl 0.13

Inl 0.14

Cylinder 2

Exh 0.15

Exh 0.15

Inl 0.07*

Inl 0.07*

Cylinder 3

Exh 0.15

Exh 0.15

Inl 0.12

Inl 0.12

Cylinder 4

Exh 0.11*

Exh 0.11*

Inl 0.09*

Inl 0.09*

The starred valves are way too tight and cylinder 4 is tightest of all.

It is noticeable that the front bank is worn more than the rear. If the clearances were all like the rear bank I would probably leave them alone for a while .... But now I have to adjust them!

The bike is showing 56 000 miles and I suspect they have never been touched. The engine itself is running smooth and strong.

They'll run smooth and strong right up until they start to burn a valve.

From the number you have out I'd agree that they've probably never been touched.

I agree .... and 0.07 mm is too tight. Sure it might easily cover another 30k before it burns .... but it will happen, so they are going to be fixed now.

Some of those valves are still within spec, and others a bare 0.01 mm out. That's pretty impressive given that I have no way of knowing how close to the lower limit they were when the engine left the factory.

Edited by twigg