IGNORED

ATV's and Synthetic oil

FROG MAN

I'm over do for an oil change. Our ATV's are single cylinder liquid cooled Yamaha 400 and 450 engines. These are the 4x4 Kodiak models and used mostly for hunting rugged terrain and slow manuevers. Our average speed might be 5 to 10 mph tops.

We are over do for our first oil change. The service manual says first one do at 200 miles or 20 hours. Our atv's have about 350 miles each on them. I noticed the service manual says change oil at 200,750,1500, and every 1500 after that. Do I need to wait a while before switching to synthetic? It's not like we can break the motor in with 10K first. We average about 125 miles a year.

My thoughts are extreme temperature variations. 0 degrees playing in snow in the winter to 100 in summer. Slow speed depends mostly on the liquid cooling with less air flow.I have noticed the electric fans kick on often. I'm going to be using Rotella oil with super tech oil filters. Just wondering if I should wait a while before upgrading to synthetic?

I'm over do for an oil change. Our ATV's are single cylinder liquid cooled Yamaha 400 and 450 engines. These are the 4x4 Kodiak models and used mostly for hunting rugged terrain and slow manuevers. Our average speed might be 5 to 10 mph tops.

We are over do for our first oil change. The service manual says first one do at 200 miles or 20 hours. Our atv's have about 350 miles each on them. I noticed the service manual says change oil at 200,750,1500, and every 1500 after that. Do I need to wait a while before switching to synthetic? It's not like we can break the motor in with 10K first. We average about 125 miles a year.

My thoughts are extreme temperature variations. 0 degrees playing in snow in the winter to 100 in summer. Slow speed depends mostly on the liquid cooling with less air flow.I have noticed the electric fans kick on often. I'm going to be using Rotella oil with super tech oil filters. Just wondering if I should wait a while before upgrading to synthetic?

no it will not hurt to change them over and if im reading this right your saying there almost 3 years old and never had a oil change at 125 miles a year and you have 300 miles on now its just me but no matter what i had on for miles 1 or 150 a year id change it at least twice a year once in the spring and once just before i put them away maybe more if your running them through deep water as it is posible for some to get in there

Yea Dray like I said. There over do for a change. The Atv's get rode more in Nov and December then any other month. There parked in the back of the shed until I put the ventures away for winter then the atv's come to the front for use. Sorry to neglect them but the first gen's come alive from spring till fall.The engine oil was still full and looked clean so no change was done. Now if I can figure out how to do a valve clearance check while there down for maint.

So much for the super tech oil filter. Walmart does not carry this filter in our stores. I went to two different walmarts and there not even listed in the super tech filter quide. I had to make a decision between a Fram ph6017a or a Napa 1358 gold. I choose the napa filters for now. I guess I will order filters to keep on the shelf. Nothing else available in town.Got both atv's changed with fresh Rotella 5W40 synthetic.

Here is a link to a site with manuals. http://manuals.dqt.be/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36

There are some Yamaha ATV manuals you can download. You should be able to adjust the valves then. Also don't forget the final drive and front differential that need service too. I would service those machines twice a year just to protect the investment. Improper care could cause them to let you down deep in the woods.