There was a member from Toronto who did a comparison of what kind of effect a gradual increase in oil made on the ride. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. Yes, how the bike handles is definately effected by how balanced or unbalanced each shock is!! Whenhitting a bump, it will cause the bike to pitch slightly towards the weaker shock. Not enough to be radical, but just enough that if you are sensitive to it you can feel it slightly.

Sounds like time for minimum of new fork seals and dust covers, maybe more serious rebuild. What you should do is find a set of forks from a MK2 and rebuild them at your leisure then you will be all set to upgrade to R1 calipers and ss lines while you are at it to have a bike that stops on a dime...

If you're changing the fork oil too, I just pull a drain screw, with a bucket ready to catch the stream & then drain the other side as well, before pulling the caps.

Remember to support the front of the frame (so wheel is off the ground), before pulling the caps.........

That's what I did!

I hadn't anticipated just how fast that stuff could squirt out :)