IGNORED

valve adjustment questions

1983 yamaha venture royale

I am new here... currently checking valves ... bike has 63000 miles, and i don't think the valves have been done in a long time.

1. When I follow the yamaha manual's instructions and bring it to top dead center, or even anywhere near there, I can not get a gauge in to find the gap- could they seriously be that tight?

2. I am very confused about the valve shim tools available. I ordered one, following a thread on here saying that I could use a suzuki/yamaha tool. It is not here yet, but after reading some other threads I fear I have ordered an unnecessary piece of steel. What tool is commonly used... has anybody ever made one?

3. I have seen the great play by play on here on how to do this job, but the measurement task is a little fuzzy in the reading. Does anybody know of a video or pictures? Sorry, lots of pictures is how I learn.

Thanks a lot.

The "shade tree" method is to rotate the engine until the cam lobe is opposite the lifter, then take your measurements.

You have the very thin feeler gauges, right? One with a .030 for points isn't going to work.

Intake: 0.0043-0.0059

Exhaust: 0.0063-0.0079

Edited by mbrood

Yeah, use the shade tree method. You'll spend all day adding and subtracting angles and never get it right trying to follow the manual.

It is possible for it to be too tight to take a gauge (even a thin one). If it's too tight to get a gauge in (you should try at least a .002" gauge) with the lobe pointing away from the valve they you'll need to replace with a thinner shim and re-measure.

Edited by MiCarl

What tool is commonly used... has anybody ever made one?

I may be wrong but I thought that I read somewhere that the Suzuki type tool will work on the venture, but only if the engine is out of the bike. So if you were doing some other major engine work the Suzuki type tool is supposed to be easier to use. But I am only going from memory of what I think I remember reading on here somewhere. I am old and do suffer from CRS syndrome.:whistling::crying:

Here is a thread where I am in the process of making some valve shim tools.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55831

I still am not finished with these since I have other projects that are more pressing right now and tying up my mill.

If you have access to a CNC mill (I'm all manual machining) the tool would be fairly easy to make. With manual machining, it is fairly challenging.