IGNORED

'XVZ1200 float valve

Hi,

dismount the Carb-Set, split the Set in two halves, undo the Fuel Hoses and open the four Bolts on each Carb-Bowl.

Take the Floater out and carefully pull out the Floater Valve.

As you have the whole Set apart, i recommend a complete cleaning Job on each Carb. For a complete tear down, you open the slotted Screw also and take the Jet Block and the Emulsion Tube out to the other Side. Undo the rubber Plugs on the Bottom of the Jet Block and clean them also. To finish the Dismount, you need to undo the Diaphragm Bowl, the Idle Mixture Screw, the Pilot Air Jet #2 behind the Diaphragm and the Pilot Air Jet #1 in the Throat of the Carb.

Best Way would be to place all Parts in a ultrasonic Cleaner. Second best is soak all in Carb Cleaner and blow all Funnels and Air Ducts out with compressed Air.

I assume you mean it's stuck open and you are getting gas out the overflow hose... Normally this is a small piece of "junk" caught between the float needle and seat. First, use the fuel bowl drain screw and drain that carb. Now when you turn the key on, fresh fuel will often wash the grit inside. If not, try rapping on the body of the carb with the heel of a large screwdriver after you've again drained the bowl and as it is filling.

Tear down is rarely needed if it's stuck open due to grit. Some older carbs get a leak in the float, it drops down and the bowl won't stop filling. Although rare, this can happen and DOES need the carbs pulled... but probably out of 100... 99 just need a few raps and a a few bowl drains to clear.

My 86 went through this more than a couple times at first.

Thanks Mate

I disconnected the fuel line and blew air into the bowl and expelled fuel out the overflow pipe....twice. It still overflows when I start the engine. Either there's a lump of gunk stuck in the valve or the bowl is leaking and needs to be pulled out, dried, and painted with dope. Seems there's no easy way out.

Jim O'D......