IGNORED

Loctite Threadlockers and Plastic=BAD

V7Goose

Loctite Threadlockers and many plastics lead to very sad owners. With ABS plastics it slowly disintegrates the plastic which begins to crack, then crumble.

Never EVER apply Loctite directly to plastic, and I strongly recommend you NEVER use it on any fastener that even passes through plastic and into a metal part. It is just not worth the potential grief.

We report this information in various threads here every year, but inevitably we see sad stories from some people who just do not get the message.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Guest PlaneCrazy

+1

If you need to lock fasteners in plastic, use self locking hardware like Nylocks, Fibre-lock nuts, etc.

http://blufiles.storage.msn.com/y1ptbjkR4vPubyLoF8iN0ki47At3pgZUnQOsByBFn2w3zbUhl0gzSXhIRZZmzs6D4siIM4XjM7Y3RX7Ftp9qvf7Nw?PARTNER=WRITER

I was thinking about this very thing last night when I was wandering around my garage. I picked up a bottle of red loctite and was wiping it off and thought what the heck... it is in a plastic bottle. Well it was in a flexable bottle so you could squeeze it, so I am guessing that some plastics it won't attack. Just don't know which ones.

Well that was the thought for the day from Jack Handy.

Now back to your regularly programed station.

:2cents: :whistling:

Polyethylene is a plastic that will hold up to some chemicals, along with some Polystyrene's. ABS however will not as the chemical makeup of it allows other chemicals, and time, to deteriorate it. They like to use ABS for a lot of body work as it is strong, machinable and last a good length of time. Just some info, Shaun