IGNORED

Any GM Mechanics out there?

Sideoftheroad

I have an '03 Olds Silhouette and tried to sign up for the contest. Well I learned that I have an analog signal and you need a digital signal to sign up. I have done some research and onstar says it can't be done DIY. From some other research this is basically b.s. There are some DIYers that have done the upgrade themselves. It seems the only reason why they are saying this is so they can get some big $$$ for it. When this whole thing started Onstar wanted 3 yrs of service. Now they want just one, but the problem is total cost is $315 to have the upgrade done. That doesn't include what I am sure dealer would charge for labor and taxes. I am not going to spend that kinda dough for this. I should be able to do this upgrade w/out having to sign up for anything w/ Onstar. I should be able to have the option to be able to sign up in the future if I want to w/out having to sign up right now just to do this upgrade. Besides the contest if anything else say me or my wife are in an accident, I can't push the emergency button to get help. They way it is now, Onstar is taking that option out unless you want to drop some major $$$

My question is any GM mechanics know how to do the upgrade? Anyone else done it themselves? How hard is it? Instructions? How to get the parts (I think it just involves a module and antenna)? Anything I am missing?

I have to be honest here. I have no clue what you are talking about. What does a contest have to do with on star?? :confused24:

I hope I am not the only one totally confused here. I read it a few times, still dont know what you are getting at for sure.

I ASSUME you are saying that on star has upgraded their signal to a digital signal compared to the old analog?? But the contest thing has me totally confused...............sorry.

There are GM commercials running on tv now that when you use your OnStar button you could win a new car. I think that is the contest he is referring too.:2cents::D

That would be why I dont know about it. I dont watch tv hardly at all. Maybe the occasional news, or Nascar event. I spend my time reading highly valuable information on the ventureRider.org website....... :cool10:

Yes that is the contest that I am referring to. In order to push the blue button you have to have a digital signal and due to the age of my vehicle I have analog. I don't think it is a dealer only upgrade like what Onstar is trying to say it is. I am asking if there are any GM mechanics w/ experience of doing the digital upgrade.

Yes that is the contest that I am referring to. In order to push the blue button you have to have a digital signal and due to the age of my vehicle I have analog. I don't think it is a dealer only upgrade like what Onstar is trying to say it is. I am asking if there are any GM mechanics w/ experience of doing the digital upgrade.

OK I did a very quick research. It appears that in 2008 this change took place. If it were me, and I had went 3 years without onstar then I would assume I did not need it. Instead I would go to the link someone posted above and enter the contest from my pc. Again this is what I would do.

Everything here can be found at the OnStar website HERE.

Digital Transition

In November 2002, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008. Additionally, wireless carriers in Canada have elected to follow suit and have also begun the shift from analog to digital technology. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. From the beginning, OnStar has relied on a nationwide analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles. Today, the analog network continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada. However, U.S. and Canadian wireless carriers have begun to shift from analog to digital networks and so will OnStar. Affected subscribers will be contacted prior to the transition date with more information.

Q. How does OnStar work?

A. OnStar brings together emergency service providers, wireless telephone, and satellite technologies to help protect you and help you stay connected on the road. It is powered by your vehicle's battery. If your battery is damaged or disconnected, your system will not be operational.

Q. Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle's analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008?

A. No. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that has the ability to operate on the digital network (i.e., dual-mode equipment).

Q. Will I still be able to get an OnStar subscription after the transition date?

A. Yes. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which is currently available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer OnStar-equipped vehicles. However, depending on the version of equipment in your existing vehicle, the system may or may not be upgradable to dual-mode equipment.

Q. How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?

A. You don't need to do anything at this time. However, if you happen to be in the market for a new vehicle, OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment are now available on some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 and newer models.

Q. What are the different types of equipment on OnStar-equipped vehicles?

A. OnStar-equipped vehicles will have one of three types of equipment:

Analog-only: All 2002 model year and earlier vehicles have analog-only equipment. Fortunately, the FCC ruling requires that U.S. wireless carriers provide reliable, nationwide analog service up until early 2008. Additionally, Canadian wireless carriers have indicated that they will follow the U.S. transition plan. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment will no longer have OnStar service. OnStar service will be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Analog/Digital-Ready: Most 2003 and 2004 model year-and some 2005 model year-GM vehicles have analog/digital-ready equipment. As of January 1, 2008, OnStar service will only be offered through dual-mode equipment. However, it will be possible to install analog/digital (dual-mode) equipment on these vehicles.

Analog/Digital (Dual Mode): Some 2004, most 2005, and all 2006 model year OnStar-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.

Q. How will I know what kind of equipment is in a vehicle?

A. There are several ways to tell what type of equipment comes on an OnStar-equipped vehicle:

a) Look for the label on GM vehicles. Most OnStar-equipped GM vehicles have an OnStar window label that indicates which of three different systems is integrated into the vehicle. Refer to question #4 for additional information.

b) Refer to this chart.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/bss/nomad//onstar_chart.jpg

c) Ask your dealer.

Q. Will OnStar offer any special programs for affected subscribers with analog or analog/digital-ready systems?

A. OnStar is working with its vehicle partners to develop an analog-to-digital transition plan for active subscribers well in advance of 2008. Each automaker's plan will vary depending on the existing equipment within the vehicle and future OnStar availability. For the latest information, visit onstar.com/digital-transition.

Q. Why do some OnStar systems currently utilize analog equipment?

A. When OnStar launched services in 1996, analog was the most prevalent wireless service available. In addition, analog provided the widest range of coverage for nationwide service. Even today, analog continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada.

Q. Digital has been around for a while-why has OnStar chosen now to introduce digital in its equipment?

A. Before transitioning from analog to dual mode (analog/digital), OnStar had to (1) choose among the competing digital technology standards (CDMA, GSM, TDMA), considering various requirements for provision of OnStar service; (2) develop a new technology to support OnStar's unique requirements to transmit both data and voice on the same digital call; and (3) conduct rigorous testing, in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturers, to support continued reliability of the OnStar system. In addition, as a result of the 2002 FCC ruling, it was necessary for OnStar to transition to equipment that was capable of operating on digital signals in order to continue to provide service to its subscribers.

Q. When will OnStar convert to digital?

A. GM began phasing in dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment in the 2004 model year on select vehicles, and expects to have all GM vehicles transitioned to dual-mode equipment by the 2006 model year. Some of OnStar's other vehicle partners began to transition to dual-mode equipment beginning in the 2005 model year, and expect to complete the transition by the 2006 model year. Beginning January 2008, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that is capable of operating on the digital network. Please refer to onstar.com or visit your local dealer for more information.

Q. Where do I go with questions about the FCC ruling?

A. For more information about the FCC ruling (02-229), visit www.fcc.gov. For the latest information about the OnStar digital rollout plan, visit onstar.com/digital-transition

Q. What is the FCC?

A. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a U.S. government agency charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

Q. What are carriers?

A. Currently, OnStar relies on a nationwide wireless network to provide communication to and from all OnStar-equipped vehicles. This network is made up of a number of independent wireless communication companies called "carriers."

Q. What is analog wireless?

A. Analog wireless operates in the 800MHz frequency range. Analog service transmits voice on a continuous radio wave using frequency modulation similar to an FM radio. Analog data is sent using a similar modulation technique known as Frequency Shift Keying (FSK). All 800MHz analog systems operate under a common industry standard known as Advanced Mobile Phone Services (AMPS).

Q. What is digital wireless?

A. In a digital system, voice is converted to a digital signal through a vocoder. The digital voice is then transmitted over air, depending on the system. The three dominant systems in the U.S. and Canada are CDMA, GSM, and TDMA.

Q. I have an earlier model GM vehicle (1996-1999) with a handset version of OnStar. I am having trouble getting cellular OnStar service established in my vehicle. What can I do?

A. Your vehicle is equipped with an early version of OnStar equipment which doubles as an in-vehicle analog cellular phone. To have OnStar service in your vehicle, you must first contact a cellular carrier in your area to activate the phone. However, due to the digital transition, many cellular carriers are now declining to activate new analog accounts. Note: This issue does not affect owners of vehicles equipped with the newer three-button OnStar systems.

Q. I'm an existing subscriber with a handset version of OnStar. How will I be affected by the digital transition?

A. All vehicles equipped with an OnStar handset system have analog-only equipment and will be affected in the same manner as those with analog-only three-button systems.

Your Verizon account can only be used on a digital ready system and according to OnStar your car may be Analog/Digital-Ready or Analog/Digital (refer to the above literature on how to find out which yours is). Either of those two systems can be upgraded to digital when it becomes available meaning you will be able to use your Verizon phone with it then. No need to buy a new system...just the upgrade if yours is Analog/Digital-Ready.

My OnStar literature states:

Quote:

*The OnStar system in this vehicle has been prepared for conversion to digital when it becomes available.

I have the white phone on my button and my car was built on 12-1-04 for whatever that is worth. However, it also states that my system is equipped with Analog/Digital-Ready hardware.

Only problem is unless they changed the rules in the past couple days there are only 2 ways to enter. Push the blue button or hand-print your complete name, address, city, state, zip/postal code, email address, date of birth and phone number on a 3"x5" piece of paper and mail your entry via first-class mail in a No. 10 business-size envelope with sufficient postage...

I don't know about you put putting that info. on a card and mailing it in screams identity theft all over it. Too easy to do by sending it in that way IMO.

I agree they should have more ways to enter like phone # (I have a corded phone) and/or web-site. Really what is the difference between pushing the button to talk to a rep vs. making a phone call and talking to a rep?