IGNORED

My new to me 89 Venture

stuckonstupid

Gentlemen

I just had to crow a little and tell someone ( at least someone who will appreciate it ) what I found this week.

A 1989 Venture Royale with 2075 miles.

Of course I was turning flips when I heard about it, being the kind of guy that I am. I already owned an 86 with 32K, but when I heard about this one...I had to have it. I won't brag about the price but I almost stole it. Now for the questions:

1) It still has the original Brickstones on and I plan to buy either Avon Venoms or Dunlop E-3s. I have the venoms now but I'm not crazy about the weathering and checking on the sidewalls. Do the E-3s have the weathering problems like the Venoms?

2) I just ordered a set of progressive springs and I plan on installing them ASAP. Compared to my 86, this thing bottoms out way too fast. Would there be anything else you guys would do to the suspension to make it more enjoyable/driveable?

3)Anybody interested in a nice 86 with 32K and fresh paint ?

4)What else would you do to a basically new bike with 22 year old parts?

All help would be greatly appreciated

Ken ( stuck on stupid )

:cool10::fingers-crossed-emo:cool10:

first of all..................you know the rules:no-no-no::photographing:

i have not seen any threads about any negative issues with the e-3 tires, and i have nothing good to say about the avons:whistling:

every fluid in that machine should be replaced, and the engine oil should be changed again after only a few hundred miles, and go easy on that clutch, as the material on the plates will be very dry and tend to burn off very easy untill they get soaked.

now , back to the pictures?????:confused24::stickpoke:

You could sign it over to me.... :D

Too bad I don't have room for it, on my way back to the wet coast, later this week. :bang head:

Otherwise, I could of made a side trip to get it, on the way home, bypassing you Rick.........

Hmmmm, where to start...

Probably one of the first things to do is completely change out the fluid in the brake system. You are probably going to find a lot of crystalization of the fdluid. You are definately going to want to take apart the rear shock suspension and get all your bushings working freely and well lubricated. Definately pull your driveshaft when you change the rear tire, and chnge out the gear oil in the differential.

Bearing grease can sometimes get stiff, and sometimes cause the bearings to have hard spots an the races. You are probably going to have carb problems. Make sure to flush out your gas tank, there is probably a lot of crud in it. Change the fuel filter while you are doing the rear tire as well.

The list goes on and on, but it is well worth it as you will end up with a bike that is like brand new when you are done. In the mean time, put some miles on that scoot!!!!!

Please do NOT forget to flush/clean the BRAKE fluid!!! A few years ago I bought a "new" 1995 Ducati 900SS with 4 k miles on it. Bike had not been ridden since '98. I would start but not idle. I cleaned the carbs, changed the timing belts and tires and thought I was good to go. First ride I got about nine miles from the house, traveling about 65 mph. Everything was going great when a car pulled out onto the highway a good distance ahead. No problem, I lightly squeezed the front brake and began slowing the bike. Life was good until I eased off the lever and the bike CONTINUED to slow down. At about 30 mph the front tire STOPPED turning!!! I slid to a halt (scared!!!) and found I could NOT move the bike. Front tire was locked solid. I guy nearby came over and together we dragged the bike out of the highway. I called the wife who came and got me. Went back home, got the trailer and came back. Everything now seemed to work ok. I loaded the bike on the trailer and took it home. I rolled fine, however after you would apply the brakes a few times, wham, they would Lock Up. Let it set and they'd release after about 30 minutes. Took it to the Duc shop. basically the master cylinder was building a little pressure everytime you used the brakes and not bleeding back down. Took a new master cylinder (no rebuild kits available(:. ) to fix the problem. Moral of the story is be VERY careful with a new OLD bike. Had I been traveling a warp speed.....it would not have been a nice story. (Wasn't too much fun as it was....) Enjoy your new ride, but check ALL the fluids and flush the systems FIRST!