IGNORED

Solid motor mount minor issue

For those of you putting the solid motor mounts in the 1st gens, I have encountered a minor issue with them.

The solid mounts are interfering with the upper spacer that goes between them.

The solid mounts are the exact same length as the stock rubber ones. They have a 1.10" dia. shoulder that fits through the mounting boss on the block. This 1.10" dia on the solid mounts is the same dia. to the end of the mount. This differs from the stock mounts. The stock set has another diameter reduction to .58" at .23" from small end. A comparison of the two mounts is shown in the 4th picture.

On the upper front mount this smaller diameter is used to capture the Spacer, Engine Mount (2H7-15336-00-00, located in crankcase section of fiche). There is a welded on collar on each end of this spacer that fits over the small end of the stock mount. Shown in last picture.

I really don't don't see a structural purpose for these two collars, so the solution seems to be to grind them back to allow the spacer to fit in between the new solid mounts. I think the spacer does perform a function by maintaining the distance between the two mounts, and not allowing the long bolt that passes through both mounts to pull the motor mount ears inward. Omitting this spacer could lead to one of the motor mount ears snapping when the frame is under stress.

The other four mounts are fine as far as I can tell at this point. The block did require a very thorough cleaning to allow the solid mounts to be inserted. I used a dremel with a sanding drum on it to clean.

55017.jpg

This is a view of the upper mounts and the long bolt in place. The spacer rod is not installed yet in this picture.

55012.jpg

This is a view of the stock upper mounts with the spacer in place.

55013.jpg

Stock mount with spacer shown over small diameter.

55014.jpg

Spacer shown with solid mounts in block to illustrate length issue.

55015.jpg

View of solid mount next to stock MKII mount. MKI mounts differ slightly in that there is ribbing around the larger diameter rubber portion.

55016.jpg

View of spacer next to stock MKII mount. The welded on collar on the spacer is what can be ground down to allow use of spacer.

Gary

Edited by Freebird

The solid mounts are interfering with the upper spacer that goes between them.

I really don't don't see a structural purpose for these two collars, so the solution seems to be to grind them back to allow the spacer to fit in between the new solid mounts.

Yup, the collars are only to help keep the spacer lined up, while inserting the bolt. I encountered this a few years ago, with the solid mounts from Buckeye & did the same fix.

:2cents: