IGNORED

Some plastic needed

Reddog170

I need the pieces that go below the fairing and the chin piece that goes below the radiator. If anyone has these please let me know. Thank you, Shaun

Shaun: I think we need more of an explanation. The 83's didn't have a chin but maybe you are talking about the small piece that joins the two lower fairings together. What color is your bike?

Hey Shaun,

Looking at your pics from your early posts I saw you did not have the Lower Bodys on the bike. (from the arrow on the left side of my pic) I assume this is part of what you are asking about.

Almost any year of MKI or MKII should mount up fine me thinks. On eBay all the time. The are joined together on the front by a brace called a Fin. (arrrow on right side) Several on eBay now.

If you look into that make sure they have the tabs intact. Two on each at the tops. Cracked ones can be fixed. Missing tabs take a little more work to fab up but can be done.

Now as far the the lower chin, like the one with the arrow in the middle is from an MKII. You would need to find one on eBay and you would also need the engine crash bars from an '85 or newer to mount them as they have four metal tabs on them to bolt to that the '83-'84's do not have.

The '83-'84 had a metal chin that was stock but they are hard to find in any kind of decent condition. They are a direct bolt on but you would need to fab up a set of spacers as they seem to never be included in the listed ones.

I chose to add the chin (off an '86) to mine to protect the spin on oil filter adaptor I installed.

I got lucky and found a matching one for $40.00 that still had the bushings in it. The crash bars I bought for about $40.00 also but they leave a little to be desired on condition. Always looking for a better set.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Yah! The elbow type pieces on the left and right are called the lower fairings ahn have vents for the knees. The center piece on the MK1's is a thin "fin" and connects those 2 pieces. The MK2 had a larger "chin" that can be installed on the MK1 but you need the left and right engine crash bars from a MK2 as well!

There was an aftermarket chrome "Chin" that instaled on the MK1's and had 2 lights on them. They are getting scarce and are usually in fair to poor shape. Check my photo album for pictures of that chin.

All of these items come up on fleabay somewhat often except the Markland (I think) chin, those you see maybe every other month or less...

Hey Gary,

Have you noticed any difference in the bike without the two frame braces from the sides?

Mike

Nothing that I have noticed.

I am putting SGN's solid mounts in soon and that should tighten it up some more.

Motor is almost back together. Now to mount the VBoost. I got the twinkie modified so it clears new intakes. Rick Butler said I had to modify the pull throttle cable mount on the carbs also. Then I need to decide on the Vmax air cleaner or modify the stock one. Battery size is issue there.

Still haven't decided on tires for it yet. I hate to pay for a set of Avons, knowing I am going to destroy a rear tire in 6-7000 miles. May go with the Pirnelli Route 66's. Pinwalls got a VMax rear wheel with a nice 15" Pirnelli on it for $125 I might get.

Gary

Cool. Been wondering about that. Of most of the bikini mods I've seen here some have done away with the braces. That body change may be down the road for me so I picked up a set of the solid motor mounts also.

I'm still hung up on that look from this pic.

Thanks

Mike