Last November I picked up a 1984 Goldwing luggage rack for my VR. It had the right mounting locations and dimensions for my large top box, and it looked to be in pretty good condition. Today I finally got around to installing it and I have attached a pdf file with pictures. Please look it over and comment

Thanks!

GaryZ

Looks good on there. One suggestion. Most racks have something at the mount points to spread out the load so you don't crack the abs. Yamie uses a chrome flat strap that spans the distance between front and rear mount points. I have seen goldwings with a large round chrome piece about the size of a large fender washer. You might look around.

:happy34:

THat looks great! I bought a rack off an 86 for my 85 and it looks good, but i like the bigger size of yours. I might consider putting some flat metal straps under the bolt heads on the inside of the lid to distribute the stess a bit better to prevent any cracking.

MLEW, the rack will look larger on your 83 as you have a smaller trunk, the 85 has the larger trunk but we have the same side bags as you.

Brian

Looks good on there. One suggestion. Most racks have something at the mount points to spread out the load so you don't crack the abs. Yamie uses a chrome flat strap that spans the distance between front and rear mount points. I have seen goldwings with a large round chrome piece about the size of a large fender washer. You might look around.

:happy34:

I used a flat piece of aluminum stock, cut one end with a v shape, and rounded out the edges on the other end, then buffed them out and they look like chrome. Did it on both the 1st gen and the 2nd gen...

Well done.

I ran strips of aluminum between the mounts on mine to give it a stronger base but it looks like the mounts on yours a way farther apart and the rear is well into the curve.

I ended up covering the interior of the truck just to get rid of the butt ugly braces.

you want to spread the possible load out as much as possible. And "bonding " is the best way. So what ever is used should be glued or bonded to the inside of the trunk. Very often a washer does not spread the load enough because it bends. Thin steel strips 1/8" or 1/16" are bendable and can be bonded using my farorite Devcon Plastic Welder. Then what ever reinforcement you make, use the glue. Put the bolts in and tighten to clamp it all down. If you are afraid of the glue on the bolts. Put a bit of WD40 on them before assembly.