IGNORED

Individual K&N Filters

I am thinking about changing out some key components of my bike. The first area will be the air filters. I want to go with separate filters for each carb. After some research I have come up with a K&N part number of RU-2989. Is this the correct PN for the four separate filters?

Of course the next question will be what jets to use to keep the A/F ratio correct?

Followed by replacing the resonator/collector with the Mark's Pipe component and free flowing mufflers.

Thoughts welcome.

A few thoughts on this subject since my bike has several of these "upgrades" done by a Previous owner. I say "upgrades" because I'm not convinced the payoff is worth the price. The aircleaner will now be unsilenced and it is actually quite annoying. You WILL need to re-jet the carbs and that means less fuel milage! My bike has VMAX cams / carbs / and rearend. To drive it--I would say it has 15-20 horses over stock and it lost 20 MPG from stock! I put the stock rear in and now I'm up to 34MPG. I've had Really fast bikes (the VR will never be one of those). It is a touring bike (a really fast touring bike).

I dont know if you will get the response from your engine that you want. Ive read that some others have tried similar things on the intakes and have usually found that these bike like the stock airbox on them. I know when working on these bikes when the airbox is off, they cough and backfire and really dont run well. I know of a couple of guys that have just drilled holes in the airbox and ended up covering them over when the bike ran terribly as it seems to need the constriction to run right.

If ya were to put bigger valves and heads on and improve airlow to the engine, getting rid of the airbox might work better but if ya dont want to spend big bucks, you might hafta leave the airbox as is.

Brian

A few thoughts on this subject since my bike has several of these "upgrades" done by a Previous owner. I say "upgrades" because I'm not convinced the payoff is worth the price. The aircleaner will now be unsilenced and it is actually quite annoying. You WILL need to re-jet the carbs and that means less fuel milage! My bike has VMAX cams / carbs / and rearend. To drive it--I would say it has 15-20 horses over stock and it lost 20 MPG from stock! I put the stock rear in and now I'm up to 34MPG. I've had Really fast bikes (the VR will never be one of those). It is a touring bike (a really fast touring bike).

Thanks for the responses. I ,too, have had very fast street bikes and my goal is not to make it into a VMax with luggage but I am also not overly concerned with noise or loss of mileage. Put it this way, I own three other vehicles F250, Corvette and Jeep. The quietest is the Jeep and the most fuel efficient is the Vette at 26 mpg with over 400 RWHP. The Vette and truck have extensive modifications so I am very familiar with how changes propogate down the line.

I have an expectation of performance and right now I know there are areas that can be improved upon in the 1st Gen. The technology is over 20 years old and new components with new technology can be utilized to improve the bike. Hell the VMax community has been doing it for years with some successes and some miscues but, by large, improvements to make a truly great machine. Keep in mind all modifications are done with a holistic approach and I think about them long and hard before pulling the trigger.

The intent of this thread is gain some knowledge as to the part numbers and such needed to make the modifications to the intake side of the equation before moving on the carbs, clutch, starter clutch, resonator/collector and mufflers.

If money is no object---put a VMAX motor in with a custom exhaust!. The heads and exhaust on the Venture are quite a bit smaller than the VMAX. Intake and Carburation will only go so far without the other half of the equation (exhaust).

That thought has crossed my mind and eventually I may end up there but for now just trying to get a little more out of an already solid engine.

As far as the exhaust is concerned; I thought the head pipes were very similar of course the rear pipes are routed differently due to the monoshock setup on the VR but I believe diameters are very close. Therefore I opted to change out the resonator with a piece that would open up the exhaust.

I guess at the end of the day I want to see how much I can get this engine to flow because I find it hard to believe the current configuration is anywhere near optimal. I may be wrong and I will post such if that is the case.

Keep the comments coming and any inputs on the part numbers is appreciated.

Mike, many hear believe they have made performance improvements. But gas mileage obviously will suffer with what you are considering. BUT you should do ONE thing after you think you have things good. Find a Dyno shop with an variable load capable dyno and EGA machine. This can confirm if you you are way rich or lean.Properly tuned bike can often have almost as good mileage while cruising unless you flog it hard. If you keep OEM YAmaha head pipes...there are plugs(6mm thread bolt) on each..made for the proper adapter to shiff the cylinder's indiviually. I made my own. I have had my bike 20+ years. I did this last year -EGA . This is the best it has run...with today's crap gas. You basiclly want the A/F ratio 13:1 up to 13.5:1 or also known as 1.5- 2.0% CO. As this gives best power. And don't forget to set the EGA at idle also. Mine was set 5th gear run with "25% load" and the EGA read 13.5 @ 4500 - 5000rpm cruise, not full throttle. This is where needle shimming comes in. So to put it simply it's not a "fast and easy" process. May take more than one trip to the dyno room. Especially when you have to rejet. And depending on where you go the prices vary. But once it's done...IT'S DONE! Tip- find a dyno guy who hates Harleys...and has much patience. They tend to be very informative and know 4 cylinder machines. Lastly if my bike could keep 13:1 all the way to redline during full throttle it would have hit 100hp. Yes it's stock w/airbox K&N. But the carbs a worn and she runs rich(12:1) during full throttle.

Edited by jasonm.