How much oil do the rstd motors hold with filter change.Is everybody using yamaha oil filters or something else.Traded my 2002 suzuki 1500 lc yesterday on a 2005 tour deluxe.I like the bike alot seems to have more low end grunt than my suzy did even with less ccs.Cruise control is definately a plus.Do the barons 4-2-4 pipes have the manufacture name stamped on the pipes.I have looked all over the pipes and cannot find it.These pipes are really loud no baffles.Do the carbs have a heater circuit on them to aid in startup.The bike has alittle bit of a whine but i have ridden other bikes that have noises also so it will be fine.

I believe the manual states 3.9qts for an oil and filter change. Most folks here do 3.5qts because the v-4 will spit some oil out if you put in 3.9qts.

I believe Baron's is the only company to offer a 4-2-4 exhaust. If you could post a picture of the pipes, if could be verified that they are Baron's. If they are, they're fairly expensive pipes.

Yes, the carbs have a heater circuit. Many pull the fuse to take the load off the charging system and find almost no difference in startup.

I like the bike alot seems to have more low end grunt than my suzy did even with less ccs

...Do the carbs have a heater circuit on them to aid in startup...

Welcome.

Two quick things. First of all you say your RSTD has more 'low end grunt' than your suzuki did - while that may be true the power band on these bikes really is in the higher RPM range. Just so you know these bikes have a built in 'rev-limiter' (since we don't have a tach) that stops the bike from revving above ~6500 rpm. When the Rev-limiter kicks you WILL know. If I recall correctly the rev limiter kicks in at the following:

~45mph (indicated) in 1st gear

~70mph (indicated) in 2nd gear

~94mph (indicated) in 3rd Gear

I have not tested 4th or 5th yet.

Also, for what it is worth, if you are trying to accelerate from say 40 or 50mph and up, your best bet is to be in 3rd. 4th and 5th are both [technically] over drive gears. The only time I am ever really in 5th is if I am buzzing along at a constant speed above 65 or so. Any hint of acceleration and I drop to 4th or 3rd depending on what it is coming up. Ride it like that for a little bit and you will feel these bikes TRUE power. NO, they won't outrun a crotch rocket or a goldwing but there are not many cruisers/tourers that would pull away from these bikes.

It has been a while since I have looked at the electrical diagrams, but if I am not mistaken the carb heater is ONLY functional when the bike is in gear AND the temperature is sufficiently low. Which means that the heaters do not do anything to 'help' start the bike or keep it running while warming up.

As far as the oil filters that people are using, there are probably [literally] hundreds of 'oil filter' or 'oil' threads on here - some have nothing but banter in them but some really do have some quality information. I do believe that most will agree that FRAM is most definitely NOT the way to go; but other than that you'll see raves about (in NO particular order) purolator, mobil 1, bosch, super-tech, etc...

There is LOTS AND LOTS of great information on this site. Take your time to poke around and I am sure you will find good stuff.

By the way, you say you have a 2005. These bikes have an UNLIMITED MILEAGE 5 year factory warranty on them that starts the day the bike gets driven off the lot for the first time. SO, it would probably be rather beneficial for you to get a hold of a Yamaha dealer and have them run your VIN to see how much (if any) of the warranty you have left. Then do a real thorough look over to see if there is anything that ought to get taken care of before the warranty period is up.

Anyways, I have yammered enough. Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your bike and your stay here :thumbsup2:

Hmmmm, never heard anybody say these bikes have lots of low-end grunt. As a mater of fact, some new owners complain that the bike seems a bit of a dog. But that is because they do not know how to ride it.

These bikes have LOTS of power, but as noted above, you need to keep the revs up. If you try to ride it like a big twin, you will constantly lug the engine and wonder why it takes so long to build speed. You can cruise all day long at 40MPH in 5th gear, but you CANNOT accelerate (much) from there in 5th gear. If you are gonna grab a fist full of throttle in 5th, you better be running at least 65 or you are gonna feel a whole lotta shakin and hammerin. If you want to pick it up fast from 40, you will need to kick it down to 3rd.

As for the carb heaters, they have no affect on startup at all. In fact, they are not even on unless the bike is in gear.

As others have said, do not put in the full amount of oil called for in the owner's manual. IN a typical oil change, some oil is left trapped behind the middle gear cover and in the sump. Use the sight window (make sure the bike is straight up, not on the side stand) and do not fill the engine above the max fill mark. Some folks say not to fill it more than half way up the glass, but you will be fine as long as you can see some air bubble above the oil in the window.

The owner's manual has a lot of good information, but some stupid things too - such as the amount of oil and unbelievably stupid shift points. But still good to have it, so if you did not get one with your bike, you can download it free from Yamahaha's web site.

:080402gudl_prv:, and enjoy the bike,

Goose