IGNORED

Lowering the RSTD front-end.. NOT THE VENTURE

I know this topic comes up a lot but its hard to find much on specifically lowering the RSTD because the majority of the expertise here is with the Venture, so the threads seem to quickly go that route and especially since the Venture can be lowered for free..

Actually this does also apply to the Venture - just wanting advice on lowering the bike using a lowering kit rather than the free Venture mod.

I have done a lot of research on this as to better understand the options and caveats especially since I know nothing much about front suspension. So while doing this research…

I compiled this summary DOCUMENT of what I gathered from all of you experts… Please let me know if you see any gaps or mistakes and hope it helps someone in the future..

But I do have some questions still..

It appears Barons has two options for lowering the front..

1) A lowering kit (only two 1.5 in spacers)

$25

2) A Performance lowering kit (the above plus Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and progressive springs)

$290

Questions:

1) Given the price difference… is the Performance kit really worth that much more money?

2) Knowing nothing about front forks… how does adding two spacers.. lower the bike?

3) I would probably have the dealer do this as I am not equipped for this.. espec the performance kit if I went that route.. but would the basic spacer kit be MUCH easier or not really?

BTW,

2007 RSTD

I have had the Butler mod on my stock seat, and it does help.

I have 29”-30” inseam, so while its not imperative, I would just like to get a little lower for backing up and stability when two up at a standstill. So debating on if this is worth it or not..

Thanks for any advice,

Globewalker

Edited by Globewalker

• 1 month later...

The 2005-2009 RSTD can be lowered in the front,,,, Free Version.

A friend did mine. You cannot get the same 1 1/2" as the Venture.

You can get about 1/2" only. But for me,,, worth it.

You only get 1/2" because the air valves will hit the handle bars if you go anymore.

With that, I suffered no issues and got the results I wanted.

I also have the Barons kit on the back but had fabricated dogbones half way between stock and Barons. So, I am lowered 1/2 in front and 3/4 in the rear.

(I had the small tire at first, so it was 3/4 both.)

You drop the tripple tree same way as the Venture (no fairing is nice).

But my mechanic also figured out that with a little machining on the big washers and swapping them from top to bottom, you could get another little bit.

If you do it, be sure and put a jack under the bike before you loosen it. You'll thank me later.

Also, first measure the distance from the top of the air valve to the handle bars. That is the max you can drop it. If you go too far, you won't know it till you put it back together,,, . Like I said, though if you do the washer thing I mentioned, you can get another 1/4",, maybe.

Anyhow, for your question about the front kit,,, for the 1/2" of change for the RSTD, I would not bother.

Mike G

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been wondering what makes the biggest difference

Most people that comment on the great handling improvement typically did both, lower the front and installed the performance springs and valves. I am sure both have some degree of effect.

It is still on my list of things I want to do....

• 1 month later...

I ordered the Barons front lowering kit, with the Race Tech valves. Well, it appears Baron's doesn't have a clue what they are selling. It came in one box, marked "Barons". Inside are the 2 "Barons" spacers that will give you 1.5". As well as the Race Tech emulators, there are installation instructions that tell you how to get either 1" or 2" drop by using either one, or both sets of top out springs. Somewhat confused I called Barons tech support.... they had no clue what I was talking about. I called Race Tech and they had no idea why I would need the Barons kit.... just theirs. If anyone else has had this dilemma, or has installed the Barons front kit themselves, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. It appears to me that I could use the Barons spacers and add just the Race Tech valves, OR throw the Barons stuff out and just use the Race Tech kit.....