IGNORED

Clean the splines- With what?

I have read as many threads as I can on this subject.

All talk about "cleaning" the splines.

1) What chemicals/towels etc do I "clean the splines with?

2) Amounts- I am confused by how much Moly 60 to use. I have read somebody saying to use a drop on each spline. The picture that is referenced below is certainly more than that. I'm concerned about putting too much.

3) I am assuming the pumpkin is on the opposite side of the spline. I'm concerned about getting this thing off and not getting it back together. I have a 10 year old bike with 35,000. Is this something that I could watch someone do at a maint day and with a bike with only 35,000 am I in any short term danger if I just grease the splines I can see?

Paranoid newbie

Don't be a'feard, sir noob. These are pretty easy to work on and pretty difficult to damage.

1) Cleaning. Just wipe them clean with a clean cloth or shop towel.

2) Wipe enough Moly60 to mostly fill the splines in the hub. That will be enough without also filling the splines on the wheel. Recommend to wear some throw away gloves 'cuz the Moly60 is tough to get off.

3) You don't need to remove the pumpkin to get at the splines. Just remove the wheel and they are right there.

However, if you really want to lube everything up right:

a) Remove the wheel hub and lube the pins. If you haven't done this, they are likely bone dry. There is a snap ring on the top of the hub that needs removed before you can pull the hub off.

b) Drop the pumpkin and lube the drive shaft splines. If you are not overly confident in your mechanical abilities, this can likely wait until a Maintenance Day. It isn't difficult once you know the trick of getting the drive shaft back in. Without knowing the trick, it is a long, frustrating job.

Once you are done with the above, put some miles on that baby. It's not broken in yet.

RR

Edited by RedRider

The "pumpkin" is slang for the differential housing. That's the one on the LEFT side of the wheel that contains the gears that transfer the turning of the driveshaft to the rear wheel.

Clean the splines with ordinary paint thinner or varsol using a short-bristled paint brush. Then wipe dry with a clean rag.

Apply a "liberal" coat of the moly to the splines and apply it to both outer and inner spline surfaces.... use a small, short-bristled brush to apply the stuff.

Edited by SilvrT