IGNORED

#3 coil

gunboat

hi all

need some advise on #3 coil not sparking. with ponch's help in troubleshooting the coil, all was in spec's but no fire. had to wait till friday and changed out the coil. now the problem is still no spark from the coil. all the others cylinders are working fine. could have i got another bad coil? i got a set of coils off a 2007 rsv from pinwall cycles a couple of years ago and never needed them untill now. anyone got any ideas. :think: i have read all the post about coils going back to 2008, yet nothing seems to hit on my problem.

thanks in advance.

reguards

don c.

IMHO it is VERY unlikely that you have two bad coils. When I spoke to Ponch it sounded to me like he said you guys had switched the wires on the two rear coils and the problem did not change. Since you say that you could not find any problem with the ohmmeter (remember, the secondary winding cannot be measured to ground, only to the common terminal of the primary winding - the R/B wire), swapping BOTH wires on the two rear coils is the only test that I would trust, so if you did not swap both of them, try that next.

With the wires swapped, the results should be straight forward: If #1 now fails to fire, but #3 works, then the problem is either the ignitor or one of the wires. But if nothing changes (#1 still works and #3 still does not), then the coil or lead to the plug must be bad.

Goose

hi ken and thanks for you advice. will try that next. i should have said the the #1 coil is the one not fireing & #3 is working ok. i will swap the wirs around tomorrow and check to see if the problem now is with #3 not firing and #1 is firing ok.

thanks in advance

don c.