IGNORED

Improve or "Go Faster" things for 1st Gen 83-85

Yammer Dan

Gary, I'm intrigued but curious. I also ride a 1st gen bike and always interested in improving on what is already fantastic performance. What advantage would you gain with this enhancement? Better air flow? If so, won't that also require adjustments to your carb air/fuel mix and possibly modification of the exhaust system?

Just wonderin'...

I do not think it is something you would want to do to a stock first gen.

I have Vmax heads, cams, a very modified exhaust and at this point rejetted 34mm carbs (MKI size). I also have an Ignitech TCI, so I can adjust the timing curve to any configuration. Also, it is an MKI with a 1300 block in it, and a VMax (FJR) final drive. It has been a series of tweaking evrything to get it running decent.

This winter I am putting on 35mm carbs (Vmax size), dynojet VMax stage 1 jet kit, vboost manifold and the vmax air box with K&N filter. Also going to have .030" milled off the block across the top to increase compression.

I am sure this is not all going to just bolt on and work right, Carbs may be on and off several times to get jetting dialed in. Once I get it close, I will have it Dyno'ed to see where I am at with it.

What I am hoping to acomplish is pushing the torque curve farther up on the RPM range. Last summer I put about 6,000 miles on the rebuilt bike with the somewhat VMax configuration. One of the things it was lacking was power from 8,500 to 9,500 RPM,s. Bike was still pulling, but it was definatly flattening out on power. I have hit 10,000 RPM's with no valve float but no useful power. I am hoping to get it to breathe better at the upper end with out wrecking the midrange which is where the vast majority of my riding is.

If you like to tinker it is fun, but can be frustrating at times.

As a side note, MPG's are not a primary concern, I am after RWHP. If it gets 35 mpg and is running properly, I am a happy camper.

Gary

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Vmax heads, cams, a very modified exhaust and at this point rejetted 34mm carbs (MKI size). I also have an Ignitech TCI, so I can adjust the timing curve to any configuration. Also, it is an MKI with a 1300 block in it, and a VMax (FJR) final drive.

I see. What you got there is a Frankenbike...:clap2:

Gary did you get it to the Dyno guy at Don's last year ? Would be nice to see the difference between then and this summer when you get it done.

Brad

I didn't get it to the guy near Don's.

All I had done last year was a RWHP only check at a Dyno shootout.

I had two runs and I switched between the stock TCI and the Ignitech TCI when I first put in the ignitech. I have since modified parameters in ignitech and it is running better than it was when this dyno was done.

Results were disappointing for overall HP, but the comparison between the two TCI's was encouraging. They tested almost identical.

1st attachement is scan of dyno. The red curve is the Ignitech and the black one is stock TCI.

The stock TCI started breaking up at high RPM which it didn't do when riding. I think I didn't get plug seated good when I was swapping before run.

Graph is in 4th gear.

Bear in mind this is actual RWHP, not the published HP numbers that are taken at the crankshaft.

Also attached is a dyno done on the 1200 engine two years before.

Gary

Something, you tow a 2nd gen on...... :stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Right, Gunboat. :stickpoke:

Thats what I was thinking. If I ever run out of 1st Gens I might have to get me one of them....

Kregerdoodle, here is the proof of the only scoot, that had to be towed back to the 2008 International Rally HQ. Better ask Gunboat about it sometime.....