IGNORED

Need advice,

Herb In Texas

With all the talk of building trailers it got my giddyup goin so a question for ya'll.

I plan to build a trailer similar to the aluma, the construction of it is going to be pretty straigt forward. My question is about rubber torsion axels.

When I calculate where the axle will go I know the 60/40 rule applys but do I center the wheel hub or the rubber flexi part on that line or split the difference?

Retarded mind want to know,lol

:7_6_3[1]:

Herb,The TOTAL LENGTH of trailer measured from end of tongue is 86 inches,the box is 46.5 inches from very farthest point to back of trailer where box ends,the torsion AXLE sits at 63.5 inches from very front TONGUE of trailer,and it is 68 inches to the center hub on the trailer. So l;ooking at the trailer the AXLE part of the torsion setup is forwardof center of the box. Im by no means a builder of any sort so if you need specific measurements feel free to call me and I will measure whatever you need....OR If you happen to come down this way,pick up my trailer and take it back with you and copy the design..or I will meet you half way in my pickup.I dont need it till July. Tom

I have been chewing on this all day, I work with my hands so my scull is free to do as it pleases. Anyway, to my thinking the place where the axle mounts would be the fulcrum point and therefore should be at the 60/40 spot. But when you think about a leaf spring setup, the axle is at this point there by the hub center is there also. Hence the question is it correct to have the 60/40 point where the rubber meets the road or where the fulcrum would be. There by having the rubber meet the road several inces back. Now if the trailer were 16 feet long the effect would not be as dramatic, but since the box length is going to be about 5 ft or so, reduced length = more critical correctness. But thats just how my head works. But then again if the rubber meets the road is several inches back then that would translate into a greater load on the hitch thereby reducing the possibility of the fearsome tail wagging the dog syndrom. Chingow my head hurts.

Think I'll ride home the long way. BTW thanks for the offer of picking up your trailer Tom. If we can't sort it out on the board then maybe the week after Christmas I will sneek down your way and have a look. Whats a couple a hundred miles on a wing any way, TIME WELL SPENT. Wouldn't nessesarily need to drag it home. Just look at it a while.

Thanks Tom I have gathered some material already. mainly the angle iron to build the base frame. I'll go to Northern Tool tomorrow to order the torsion axle. Should be starting in a week or ten days. Iffffffff My skill set can match my vision then it should come out pretty cool. Got a yard in Fort Worth that sells "useable" scrap, might can get a good deal on the aluminum for the box and lid. Good result or bad I'll post.

• 2 weeks later...