IGNORED

Weather And Comfort Audio System

Guest my14car

Guest my14car

This is my first Wing and bike with a audio system. Getting a little nervous riding in the rain. how do these systems hold up to rainy wet conditions. I always cover the bike when i am at work, can you ride in a down pour or do you need to look for cover. Has anyone had problems due to the rain

This is my first Wing and bike with a audio system. Getting a little nervous riding in the rain. how do these systems hold up to rainy wet conditions.

As with anything that has electrical components, it is wise to "avoid" water / moisture at all times, however you and I know this is just impossible when riding a bike. I am certain the manufacturer also knew that at one time or another, one would eventually get caught in the rain, or one may use a garden hose to wash their bike. With this in mind I am sure they made the electrical switches and dash board components, including the speakers somewhat weather resistant.. Note: I did not say water resistant..

When water / moisture continually gets around electrical components, corrosion starts, rust forms..and eventually a switch or component will fail. This is due to the fact that most of the component contacts are usually made of copper.

When copper is exposed to air and water, a thin layer of a green substance forms on the surface of the copper. This green substance is called copper carbonate. The process that causes copper carbonate to form is called oxidation.

Moisture + copper + air = oxidation, = green crud ...

As for my Goldwing, I have been caught sooooooooooo many times in the pouring rain, and I will continue to ride in the rain if I have to.

I have also used the garden hose to wash my bike twice since I have had it, and I have never had a major problem.

In two years of ownership of my GW, my 4 way flasher switch and reverse switch have both hung up the first year I had it.. I fixed them and have never had another problem.

If I can be of any help with questions on your GW, feel free to ask me anytime.

Edited by Eck

Ditto to Eck's comments. I rode my 2008 many times in all day rains, with absolutely no probelms. I even went one step further and used a pressure washer, expecially on the front end for bugs and the rear end area behind the saddle bags. I think you have nothing to worry about.

Although I have only had my wing 7 months or so it gets pressure washed about twice a month. I have yet to have a problem. Now I don't hit the speakers or switches with the full force of the water but they do get cleaned that way. Had my Venture a couple of years and I washed it the same way. Again no trouble. Caution and descretion are very valuable comodities when dealing with bikes.:7_6_3[1]:

Although I have only had my wing 7 months or so it gets pressure washed about twice a month. I have yet to have a problem. Now I don't hit the speakers or switches with the full force of the water but they do get cleaned that way. Had my Venture a couple of years and I washed it the same way. Again no trouble. Caution and descretion are very valuable comodities when dealing with bikes.:7_6_3[1]:

just like you I bought my new ride on 6/5 and she gets powerwashed every week and i dont baby her everything gets blasted buttons switches speaker all of it and i have not had a problem one blast the speakers clean and blast the vol. leaving the carwash

dont worry about it just drive it mine loves the rain:big-grin-emoticon::twing::big-grin-emoticon: