IGNORED

New Identity Theft - be aware

Lone Eagle

Uechi Kid just sent this out to some friends on his distribution list (thanks, Rich) - thought I might share with all of you. I just checked my wallet - and couple of my cards do have that symbol on a card as discussed in this video. What will be thought of next? :confused24:. What I don't understand is how products like this can be made - or sold.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-electronic-pickpocketing-goes-viral,0,1599870.story

That subject was brought up at a security meeting a while back. It's turning into a major problem during the holiday shopping season. You never know if you are being scanned.

They made the point, as mentioned in the lead in story for the vid, that something as simple as cutting a piece of foil to about the same size as a bill and keep inside your billfold along with your folding cash can prevent the scanning. The foil creates a shield as it is wrapped around the credit cards inside.

Simple enough. Should work.

Well if the readers were not made then there would be no reason to put the RFID tags in anything.

If I claim to be starting a business then that is all of the reason necessary to buy a reader.

It sounds like you can protect yourself by just adding some aluminum foil to your wallet if you are worried about it.

I do not have anything with the RFID tags in it, so it does not affect me, YET.

The credit card companies should and probably will (eventually) provide a sleeve that will shield the card.

My Enhanced Driver's License comes with one of those sleeves, however, the license has no personal info, just a reference #. Won't be long before "we" have those RFIDs implanted in "us". But, that's another matter I won't get into here.

Guest scarylarry

This was talk about around 4 yrs ago, and not much was said on this American Express 'I think" was one of the first to installed the chip that carries all the info scanners that are out there you don't have to be real close to the person at all just aim and shoot and you collected all you need to, then sell the info to a 3rd party...

My Enhanced Driver's License comes with one of those sleeves, however, the license has no personal info, just a reference #. Won't be long before "we" have those RFIDs implanted in "us". But, that's another matter I won't get into here.

You'll see me riding around wrapped in aluminum foil. :)

one of my coworkers tried to implant a RFID into his left hand.... he made the incision but did not cut himself deep enough to implant the RFID chip.

On the same evening his friend implanted one in his own hand.

He uses it to unlock the doors at his home and his workshop.

Personally I thought both of them are nuts for trying it.....

BTW there are several wallets on the market that are touted as being RFID blocking... if you want to take the easy way out.

When was the last time you read Nineteen Eighty-Four? Dont forget:

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU