IGNORED

Audio totally dead

DanC

I was having problems with my audio system, 2008 venture, responding to the commands that I would punch in on the control located on the handle bars. It got progressively worst until one day it went totally out. The bike is under warranty so I took it to the Yamaha dealer where I purchased it. It should be noted that I found that people working on the audio system are really not educated on how it works and how to troubleshoot the system. Its change black boxes so to speak. So they tried the new control and that did not work. So they were on the phone with Yamaha techs for hours talking about what to do next. They took the front fairing off and found that the wires going to fuel tank for the intercom (rider) were all cut up. The wires had been routed wrong and got into the steering area and slowly were being smashed and cut to pieces by steering the bike. They ordered a new harness for the headset and installed same. The problem was still NOT repaired. Again on the phone with Yamaha techs and yamaha sent in a new amp that is located under the front fairing. That took care of the problem. The system now works great and responds immediately to the commands. This whole event took about two months to get worked out driving back and forth. In short everyone should remove their front fairing and take tie ties and really look at how their wiring is being run to prevent this from happening. I did write a letter to Yamaha about the routing of the wiring under the fairing and what had happen. I believe that the wires being cut on the headset cord shorted out the AMP blowing same. It only took two months and about 400 miles of riding back and forth waiting for parts and etc. I would also like to note that there are TWO fuses in the audio system. One fuse is in the battery compartment and the other is behind the RIGHT UNDER COVER. So if your having audio problems be sure to check both fuses. I hope that this will help someone. Please check all the wires running under the front fairing. It could prevent you from having the same problem. Yamaha techs also advised that the connections on the amp, which are many work loose so be sure to check them as well. :bobby: Good Luck, DanC