IGNORED

Veterans Day

GeorgeS

Just Heard, that, at BayHaven Elementary School, of Sarasota Florida.

Tomorrow, they will be honoring some Veterans for a " Veterans Day"

comeing up this weekend.

A Specific group of " Veterans " ( ??? ) will be singled out for Honarable mention.

""" Conscientious Objectors """

( IN the 4th grade class )

""" Conscientious Objectors """ Veterans?????

It is hard to hear the two groups in the same sentence.:(

I know is that when we speak about that type of "Veteran", it's not usually discribed as "Honarable mention!" In fact if we mention them at all, it wouldn't be discribed as honarable, nor even polite, in some circles.

When I was about to be drafted, I too thought for about a milli-second, about going to Canada..but wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I had done that. :no-no-no:

Yes, Conscientious Objectors can be mentioned, but not as a "honarable mention"

Am proud to be a Veteran!

Lowflyer07

Ride Safe

There are and were many "Conciencious Objectors" that are were highly decorated Veterans from WWI, WWII, Korea and Viet-nam.

In my time in the USAF (68-72) I met several. They served with honor as Medics, in the Chaplin Service, as mechanics clerks and cooks. They wore the uniform, but would not carry a weapon or take a life for reasons of religion or concience. Those C/Os should not and must not be confused with Cowardly actions of "Draft Dodgers" or "Deserters"

If that is the position taken to honor those veterans, I am with them.

If not, that's a different story.

DJ

Subject

FW: In honor of Veterans Day

I hope that I did this correct------------very moving!!!!!

Pretty moving

"

(See attached file: zzzzTerryKelly.wmv)

AttachmentsAttachment scanning provided by:http://ads.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/sy/symantec/0301407_antivirus_nodate_79x22.gif

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/space.gif

Files: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nt/tr14x15_1.gif http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/pim/clip_1.gif zzzzTerryKelly.wmv (3.5MB) Scan and Save to Computer

DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

Previous | Next | Back to Messages Save Message Text | Full Headers

There are and were many "Conciencious Objectors" that are were highly decorated Veterans from WWI, WWII, Korea and Viet-nam.

In my time in the USAF (68-72) I met several. They served with honor as Medics, in the Chaplin Service, as mechanics clerks and cooks. They wore the uniform, but would not carry a weapon or take a life for reasons of religion or concience. Those C/Os should not and must not be confused with Cowardly actions of "Draft Dodgers" or "Deserters"

DJ

thank you very much, dan!

i am a disabled navy vet, who never knew that a "c/o" was anything other than a "viet nam era" draft dodger!

you can learn something new, here, almost everyday!

just jt

I have a lot of respect for a true concientious objector who serves within the limits of his/her beliefs. I have no respect or sympathy though for those who enlisted and suddenly decide that they are C.O.s when they get orders to deploy to a war zone (using the C.O. as a reason not to deploy and be let out of the service).

I have a lot of respect for a true concientious objector who serves within the limits of his/her beliefs. I have no respect or sympathy though for those who enlisted and suddenly decide that they are C.O.s when they get orders to deploy to a war zone (using the C.O. as a reason not to deploy and be let out of the service).

I very much agree.

DJ

I had a guy that worked for me in the Navy that was a c/o.

It was in his initial enlistment papers.... so it was no B.S.

He was a hard worker, but I could not put a sidearm on his hip... it made me think more about how to employ my men.

BTW he was a Firecontrolman, meaning he worked on the computers and RADARS that controlled the firing of the ships guns and missiles. He worked on the PHALANX ship self-defence system that only fired on incoming hostile ant-ship missiles. so it was self defence firing at a non-human target.

thank you very much, dan!

i am a disabled navy vet, who never knew that a "c/o" was anything other than a "viet nam era" draft dodger!

you can learn something new, here, almost everyday!

just jt

You are all very welcome, and thank you for your service

He worked on the PHALANX ship self-defence system that only fired on incoming hostile ant-ship missiles. so it was self defence firing at a non-human target.

I had one working for me on the flightline at Sheppard in 71-2. He also signed up as a C/O. A very hard worker. Serviced fire supression systems. Very likeable and dependable. We had a UH-1H caught fire during a fuel turnaround and AMN1st Bill Warden was the first man on the scene. Bill was burned quite badly, but he pretty much saved the fuel truck operator single handed. Lost the pilot and student though. I got out of the service before Bill was out of the hospital, but I know he was decorated as I was contacted about giving a statement for his citation.

DJ

You do learn something new every day. I must admit, my first reaction to C/O was not a nice one.

KiteSquid, what did you do in the Navy? If an FC was working for you, I'm assuming you were a FC or a GM. I worked on the Phalanx CIWS myself '82 to '93. I was on the USS Iowa (BB-61) in Norfolk in '84/'85. Yes a defensive weapon, but we could have fired on incoming aircraft also. I would have found it difficult to have a fellow Phalanx tech (any FC really) as a concientious objector.

I joind the Navy in 1981 and retired in 2001 as an FCC(SW). For all the non Navy people who read this I will decode it to be a Firecontrolman Chief Petty Officer (E-7) with a certification as an Enlisted Surface Warefare Specialest

I worked on the MK 92 FCS on USS McInereny (FFG 8)

AN/SPY-1A (Part of the AEGIS weapons system) on USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55) (plankowner) and USS Mobile Bay (CG 53)

I also instructed the operation and maintenance of the AN/SPY-1 A, B(v) and D variants.

I retired from my last job in the Navy as the International Military Students Officer at the AEGIS Training and Readiness Center.

20 years sure went quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was going through medic training at Ft Sam, we had a C/O in class with us. In the world, he was a pharmacist. Normally pharmacists would come in as officers. He was told you can't be an officer and a C/O. He decided it was more important to stand by his faith. On graduation from basic medic training they decided he didn't need advanced training so they promoted him to Spec 5 and made him a pharmacist assistant (or whatever they called that mos). Real good guy.

Being a Seventy Day Adventist, I was aware of several SDA C/O's that served in Vietnam as medics and they were truly in the thick of things. You can't get much closer to the front lines than being a medic. As noted, they did not have a problem serving their country, and did it proudly and heroically, they just wanted to do it without them having to kill another human being.

RandyA

DJ

Alvin C York applied to be aconscientious objector, drafted at age thirty, York in many ways typified the underprivileged, undereducated conscript who traveled to France to "keep the world safe for democracy." With great reservations, York embarked for Camp Gordon, Georgia to receive his basic training. A member of Company G in the 328th Infantry attached to the 82nd Division (also known as the "All American Division) York established himself as a curiosity--an excellent marksman who had no stomach for war. After weeks of debate and counseling, York relented to his company commander, George Edward Buxton, that there are times when war is moral and ordained by God, and he agreed to fight. but he didn't know if he could kill. When he had to decide, between killing a few or letting hundreds die, he killed 25 Germans and captured 132. From his vantage point he could have killed many more, maybe all of them.

From York's Diary.

In boot camp. "So you see my religion and my experience...told me not to go to war, and the memory of my ancestors...told me to get my gun and go fight. I didn't know what to do. I'm telling you there was a war going on inside me, and I didn't know which side to lean to. I was a heap bothered. It is a most awful thing when the wishes of your God and your country...get mixed up and go against each other. One moment I would make up my mind to follow God, and the next I would hesitate and almost make up my mind to follow Uncle Sam. Then I wouldn't know which to follow or what to do. I wanted to follow both but I couldn't. They were opposite. I wanted to be a good Christian and a good American too."

In Europe ". . .There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharp shooting... All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to."

He came back to a ticker tape parade and endorsement offers that would have made him rich. But he had never used any of the products and refused to take money under false pretenses and went home. A truly honorable man, one of America's greatest heros.