IGNORED

Piolet jets and carbs?

I need to get a set of pilot jets for my 83 VR. It seems there are several styles of jets that will fit. Which Mikuni carbs are on this bike? It is BS 30/96, KBS 30/96 , KVM 22/210 or KVM 22/486? The pilots are slightly different between these and probably won't interchange.

This site seems to have good prices on jets.

http://www.psep2.biz/pages/catalogs/search/U2t1U3RhcnRzOmpldHM=/3/search.aspx

I need to get a set of pilot jets for my 83 VR. It seems there are several styles of jets that will fit. Which Mikuni carbs are on this bike? It is BS 30/96, KBS 30/96 , KVM 22/210 or KVM 22/486? The pilots are slightly different between these and probably won't interchange.

This site seems to have good prices on jets.

http://www.psep2.biz/pages/catalogs/search/U2t1U3RhcnRzOmpldHM=/3/search.aspx

I am curious why you would need pilot jets. The pilot jets only regulate air into the mixture and are not as subject to clogging as the mains.

It would help the A/F mixture if you went to a smaller size pilots as this lets less air into the fuel stream, thus increasing the richness of the mixture.

Gary

I would check with Yamaha on that. I called them back in the spring to get the cab manufacter and model so I could get some parts for mine and I was told that the carbs on the 83 are yamaha's they made their owen.

The pilot jets were stuck in the carb. They had to be drilled out to remove them. The carbs sat with fuel in them and all the insides were gummed up. I tried oil and other methods to remove them and finally the slotted end of the jet broke off. Left turning drill bits are the trick to removing them without dammaging the carb body.