IGNORED

Hidden Antennas report

Well, after getting the bike back from the shop I decided to crack open the fairing to double check for anything loose and amiss.. and happy to report all is good.. buddy did a decent job (as far as I can see.. but they know I will be back in a huff should something be amiss).. ;)

I took the time to install a hidden antenna.. I had already tried the small box amplified powered antenna and yeah, it seemed to work OK.. but nothing to scream home about to be honest.. I wrangled the antenna cable to pop out wear I could reach in and switch cables when away from home and couldn't really tell any difference to be honest.. However, it DOES work and rather reasonably well for the price.. usually available online for 20 to 30 bucks..

But this time I installed a different one that a friend pointed me to, and I do have to report "wow" again. This one picks up MUCH better than the OEM antenna and better than the Firestik does. Wow, and it's unpowered.. glue it to the inside of the fairing and voila, plug and play.. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the signal it picks up.. I have to do some testing to see if the bulk of the bike blocks a lot of signal or not..

I seldom ever use the CB on this bike, and feel the antennas, be it the OEM or the Firestiks, impart some vibration to the bike in heavy winds (which we get a lot around here).. So once the rains stop I'll be able to take it on a run and see how it handles with the antennas off the bike.. The bike looks like it's missing something aesthetic without the antennas present.. But meh.. "tis better to feel than to look good"..

Cheers

Guest tx2sturgis

I wondered about that too! VERY hidden!

I have thought about one of these, so I can convert my factory AM/FM antenna mount to a 2 meter ham antenna. That would leave the CB and AM/FM still functional. I dont use the AM/FM much, since I have XM, but would hate to lose it completely.

Ahh good point, figured people would have thought of going to eBay and seatch for "hidden antenna".. but I forgot, we're bike riders, not search engines ;)

This is the buyer I got mine from.. Honestly have no idea what the 'weather band' aspect does but the AM / FM is awesome..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380281890444&viewitem=&refid=store

Cheers