IGNORED

How does the speedometer pick up work on ( say) a triwing trike?

rounce

The trike I have is based on an 05 midnight venture . The trike was "cobbled up " rather than using a complete kit. The speedometer jumps around and the cruise control doesn't work , due to the unevenness of the input at the pickup level , I think. The impulse wheel used is a fan from an alternator , and the pickup is mounted at the side of the wheel. The fan is not mounted on center of the universal joint. It wobbles. So back to the original question. What is needed to make the speeometer pickup system work properly?

Help!:mytruck1:

On my Tri-Wing the speedo sensor is mounted on top of the axle just over the flange on front. The flange has a set of notches machined in it. I don't know off hand how many or what size they are (will check tomorrow). The flange is also tapered to match the angle of the sensor so that the senors end is even with the flange and having a consistant gap there. I'm not even sure without checking what the gap is either but I'd think it's at what yamaha calls for with the stock two wheeled set up.

Deffineately you've got a screwed up system there and I'm supprised it even gives a reading on the speedometer. Oh ya any kind of erratic response from the sender will cancel out a cruise control setting.

I'll dig up some more info and pics tomorrow if you want them.

Larry

The gap is .003 to .005 for the speed sensor.

Here is where and how the Hannigan is places and attached It is about the center of the photo at the front of the rear end, and just behind the U joint.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/speedosinsor.jpg