IGNORED

LED Driving Lights

rlyons

Got my driving lights in from Greenboatstuff in on Thursday. Split the fairing and rewired the driving light bar with new wiring and, fresh soldered connections and a new relay and switch. Put one of the new LEDs in place and opened the second box. Found the led board within the sealed beam portion seperated from its mounting and flopping around in there. Called customer service who said to mail it back to them and they will send me a new one. Told the lady that I wasnt going to pay shipping on a defective bulb. She agreed but couldnt figure out a solution. She said she could mail me a shipping label for a return. I told her that would take too long. Told her to just ship me a new one with the prepaid label and ill repack the bad one in it and return it. A few hours later I got an email from Angie, one of the owners saying the new bulb shipped as discussed. Now that was good customer service.

I tried the light with only one LED in there and was very impressed. The installation was a snap. Took all of 3 minutes. Cant wait till the replacement gets here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I posted the link for the lights from the Delphi Forum the original poster there gave no indication of any radio problems. Maybe you have a ground issue? My set should be delivered today and ill have them mounted soon. Ill see what happens.

I sent an email to Q-Dog at the delphi forum to see if he had any issues with his LED's. Im wondering though if you are running a relay and where is your power line tapped in to? If its tapped into the red/yellow ignition wire then that may be causing a static problem. Ill find out soon enough with my set.

No I did not have a relay in line. I simply replaced the old lights witht he LEDs. I will try a relay and see what happens.

Well I have tried them with a relay and also grounded them straight to the battery with no luck. I have also grounded the radio and antenna straight to the battery with no change. They still have static without the antenna connected so it is coming through the electrical system somehow. I am at a loss for what to do next. I guess I will send them back and chaulk it up to my bad luck.

I received the replacement bulb today and installed both LED lamps. Took all of 5 minutes. They are NICE and the customer service from Greenboat was first class. No static issues and the CB worked fine too. They compliment the HID headlight quite nicely and only draw 14w max between the two bulbs. And at 39 each id say its a steal. :smile5:

Rlyons, I sent you a PM. You can call me if you need any help with this. # in profile.

I just ordered a set tonight. Hope it cuts down on the amp draw of the Yamaha lights. Not sure what the watts are on the Yamaha. Now I need to find out about the HID headlight and the amp draw on it is it less then stock light. . where is everyone getting it and how does it hook up?

HID can be bought from www.canadiancruisercustomizing.com

You need to split the fairing but its pretty much plug and play. :smile5:

Yamaha driving lights showed 30w on each bulb where the LED's were 7 or 8 w.

Seeing how I have the RSTD it should make it a lot easier with no fairings to split. Have you had any trouble with your ? how long have you had it on your bike? Do you have the blue 8000 4H

Edited by heatonmt

Seeing how I have the RSTD it should make it a lot easier with no fairings to split. Have you had any trouble with your ? how long have you had it on your bike? Do you have the blue 8000 4H

I think I have the 6000 blue/white. Ill look for the box tomorrow and see what I ordered. I had it in place for about 5 months now with no issues. I havent even used the driving lights since the HID gives a nice lighting path all on its own. Makes night riding much better for us older guys with, well, lets just say, lessening vision....:smile5:

Ok, just got back from a 200 mile ride. Had a few comments about the HID/LED light combo up front from some other riders and drivers on the road. They all liked its looks.

That being said, RLyons is not going crazy...apparentely there is some sort static issue after all. I had no static from any of the strong local stations. When I tried the Fox talk radio station here in town I did pick up some static, which disappeared when I turned the Led's off. A Republican station suddenly getting static right before elections.....its a conspiricy I tell yas....Ok, back to the static. Im guessing thet Rlyons lives in a small town in Fla and receives his airwaves from another larger city, hence the static. Of the 7 stations I have pre-set, only the one had a static issue. And one of the areas weakest signals.

So, any of our electrical Icons here have any suggestions or solutions. Im thinking some type of filter or noise suppressor mounted somewhere inline in the lighting system. The one static issue isnt enough to have me remove these Leds, thats how much I like them but I would still like to find a solution. :smile5:

Think I may have found a suppressor at crutchfield.

American International S-15A / S-25A Power line noise filters $12.99

Talked to their tech support and they felt it should work

Edited by Ruffy

I like the lights they look nice and bright, but I have the same problem with the light being seperated from the LED board inside. So it shakes. I contacted Angie and waiting to see if what they do. I hope they replace it like they did the other gentelmens.

Hal :fingers-crossed-emo

Ill let you know how the noise filter works on radio reception once the part comes in.

I guess no one else here has any other ideas/possible solutions on this issue.

I like the lights they look nice and bright, but I have the same problem with the light being seperated from the LED board inside. So it shakes. I contacted Angie and waiting to see if what they do. I hope they replace it like they did the other gentelmens.

Hal :fingers-crossed-emo

A few hours later I got an email from Angie, one of the owners saying the new bulb shipped as discussed. Now that was good customer service.

:smile5:

Had my first night ride tonight coming home from work.....man, they really light up the night along with the HID. Still have some slight static from only one radio station but ill install the noise filter this weekend and see how that works out. Its just a talk radio station so I aint missing much.

I recevied the new light today. I do have some slight static from only one radio station.

Let me know what filter to use to get rid of the static from the lights, or what else I can do to eleminate the static. The lights on a relay already hooked up through the ignition switch so when you turn the key on the lights come on. Squid did this with the old lights. What to do???

Hal :smile5:

I just put these lights on and WOW double WOW.

These things light up the road. Thank you guys for bringing these to light.

(Excuse the pun)

They work so much better then the other lights it is unbelievable,

how truly bright they are and how they light up the night.

Thanks again

Ruffy, keep me up to date on the filter. My friend couldn't use the lights so I still have them. I would love to be able to use them but it really wipes out my radio.

I have the filter but it will be a few days before I can get to work on it. Most likely Wed. Its still bothering me as to why its affecting all of your radio stations. It shouldnt be any different from my set-up. Ill post as soon as I mount the filter.

Ruffy, keep me up to date on the filter. My friend couldn't use the lights so I still have them. I would love to be able to use them but it really wipes out my radio.

Where do you have your lights grounded to?

How do you have your LEDs hooked up?

These could help give appropriate information to explain why the radio is being 'wiped out' and what can be done to alleviate that problem.

Where do you have your lights grounded to?

How do you have your LEDs hooked up?

These could help give appropriate information to explain why the radio is being 'wiped out' and what can be done to alleviate that problem.

If his is the same as mine then the light itself is grounded into the light housing (bucket). Led lights hook up the same way as stock sealed beam driving lights. One hot and one ground. Im still thinking that rlyons distance from the radio station and their signal strength is playing a big part here. In my case, only one station is affected and not that bad either. Just some slight static. I did go ahead and either replaced hot wires and/or soldered all crimped factory connections for a better connection. Could be his relay is poorly grounded.

But like I said, once I get the filter hooked up inline somewhere in the system ill report on it. Ill figure it out by the old tried and true trial and error method.

I have tried running a ground straight to the battery, no luck. Ran it to the engine, no luck. My hot is running straight from the battery to a relay which I have grounded to the headlight and then on to the battery, no luck. My strong stations are not too bad but it wipes out anything out of town. I even hooked them to a power supply on the bench and it wipes out the radio on the garage wall. The people that are using them on boats are having the same issues and a lot of electrical whizzes have not been able to solve it.

one of the big problems with HID lamps is the RF energy they put out.

A spark gap will put out noise from DC to Daylight..... and you have those gaps within inches of your radio and feet of the antenna.

Also the wires that hook up the lamps can act as antennas also.

SO you may have to shield or double shield the wires and the backs of the lamp assemblies, but it might not work as you cannot shield the front of the lamps as you want the light to escape........

BTW I work in Electromagnet Environmental Effects for a living..........

Good luck.

BTW I will NOT retrofit HID bulbs into any of my vehicles.