IGNORED

Paint problems rsv 2009

Santa Hal

Have 2009 RSV with paint problems on the gas tank and fender. It is two toned red & black. It looks like you have rock chips in the paint, but paint was popping off from underneath on red only. Called Yahama to see if they were having a paint problem on the 09s of course they said no. They said to take it to the dealer that you bought it from. So I did. They said they would order me a new gas tank to replace the old one. Last Monday I got the new tank. Took them a day to get the new gas tank on. Now they have ordered the front fender. Don't know when it will get here. They didn't put the badges on the tank. I kind of like it without them. If you have any paint looking problems don't be surprised because it is popping off from underneath the paint. Especially on the newer bikes. Looked like it had the measels. LOL

It looks good now.

Hal :dancefool:

Guest scarylarry
Have 2009 RSV with paint problems on the gas tank and fender. It is two toned red & black. It looks like you have rock chips in the paint, but paint was popping off from underneath on red only. Called Yahama to see if they were having a paint problem on the 09s of course they said no. They said to take it to the dealer that you bought it from. So I did. They said they would order me a new gas tank to replace the old one. Last Monday I got the new tank. Took them a day to get the new gas tank on. Now they have ordered the front fender. Don't know when it will get here. They didn't put the badges on the tank. I kind of like it without them. If you have any paint looking problems don't be surprised because it is popping off from underneath the paint. Especially on the newer bikes. Looked like it had the measels. LOL

It looks good now.

Hal :dancefool:[/quote

I have the same bike and no issues as of yet with the paint.

I don't think it was brake fluid that was sprayed on my tank as my tank was never oily what so ever. If you looked at it you could actually see inside the chip the base color of the red. I believe they sprayed the paint over a base of silver the red is somewhat transparent like a candy color paint. If you look close enough you could actually see where it was starting to pop off. I took pictures of it but I don't know how to load them on to the site as they are too big. I dont know if it would show it anyway.

Hal :hurts: yes Red and Black 09

Edited by Santa Hal

I don't think it was brake fluid that was sprayed on my tank as my tank was never oily what so ever. If you looked at it you could actually see inside the chip the base color of the red. I believe they sprayed the paint over a base of silver the red is somewhat transparent like a candy color paint. If you look close enough you could actually see where it was starting to pop off. I took pictures of it but I don't know how to load them on to the site as they are too big. I dont know if it would show it anyway.

Hal :hurts: yes Red and Black 09

My passing thought was maybe it was during the initial setup of your bike and got cleaned up before you received it. Brake fluid can have the effect you described on painted surfaces, INCLUDING not going all the way down to the metal. But, there could also be many other explanations for it too; such as poor surface prep before painting. Without inspecting it in person, I'm really shooting in the dark here.

As for how to post pictures, all you need to do is start a new post then scroll down to the 'Additional options' area and click 'add attachments'.

The forum program will automatically re-sizes them for you.

Regardless, I'm glad you got it replaced. I would be furious if my brand-spankin'-new bike started to have an issue like that.