IGNORED

Quieter when warmed up?

Ok folks I might be losing my marbles so I have come here to validate either I am crazy, going deaf (selectively) or this really is happening.

Ok my bike has modified mufflers; the ends and first baffle have been removed. I think it sounds awesome (although not sure Skydoc has embraced the sound). Anyways, once the bike gets warmed up nicely I swear it gets quieter (not sure that is a word)

My thoughts on this is either I am going deaf in direct relation to the bike warming up. Which could be nice when the wife comes along and wants to discuss meaning of life or other sundry details not pertinent to enjoyong the ride.:scratchchin: This scenario is not likely.

I am crazy and this isn't happening at all. Quite possible as I shot a stump once because I swear it looked like a deer staring at me. Now before PETA fanatics start blasting me for wanton destruction of Bambys let me state I do not hunt for sport but rather to supplement my grocery bill and besides I love venison.

This really is happening; maybe due to thermal expansion or something else. Thoughts?

And yes I have tried to treat the symptom with SeaFoam and now my ears are on fire :rasberry:

Hey Mike,

When I put the Jardine Exhausts on my 87'VR, it sounded like a "Rattle Trap" for about 3 months when cold. After warm up, the exhausts quieted down, and all of the noise and exhaust gasses were exiting out of the tail pipes. After this set of pipes had been on my bike for more than three years, the transition from cold to warmed up as far as sound goes, has decreased greatly. When I have had to remove one or both of the exhaust pipes for a rear tire change or Final Drive maintenance, the difference in sound changed from loud when cold to quieter when warm. I don't think there is anything wrong with your ears, and with the lack of options we have as far as exhaust pipe selections goes, I think you did an excellent job of adding a little "Sound" to your scoot. Now those big pink ears you have, (because of the Seafoam) Well, that's a whole different issue. :whistling:

Earl

Hey Mike,

When I put the Jardine Exhausts on my 87'VR, it sounded like a "Rattle Trap" for about 3 months when cold. After warm up, the exhausts quieted down, and all of the noise and exhaust gasses were exiting out of the tail pipes. After this set of pipes had been on my bike for more than three years, the transition from cold to warmed up as far as sound goes, has decreased greatly. When I have had to remove one or both of the exhaust pipes for a rear tire change or Final Drive maintenance, the difference in sound changed from loud when cold to quieter when warm. I don't think there is anything wrong with your ears, and with the lack of options we have as far as exhaust pipe selections goes, I think you did an excellent job of adding a little "Sound" to your scoot. Now those big pink ears you have, (because of the Seafoam) Well, that's a whole different issue. :whistling:

Earl

Hey Earl;

I also have a set of Jardines on my 86VR. I love the sound of these mufflers, they are some what mellow at idle but as you roll on the throttle they really get your attention. My only beef with the Jardines is that the chrome is now flacking after 3 years. I was thinking of having them re-chromed but that would probabaly cost as much as new. I will either paint them or wrap them this winter.

How is the chrome holding up on your?

Don

Hey Don,

The Chrome is still good on my Jardine Exhaust Pipes, So far! I do wipe them down regularly as I have had trouble in the past with aftermarket pipes flaking after a short time. Because Jardine no longer offers these pipes, and because they were almost $350.00 when they were available, a re-chrome might not be a bad deal. I too fully enjoy the sound of my Jardine exhaust pipes, and regularly wind the old 87'VR just to hear them. When I ride a VR with stock exhaust, I can hardly tell if it is running! I respect the fact that a lot of riders enjoy the "whisper quiet" sound of the stock exhausts, but as for me, "Let those puppies BARK", I say. :confused24:

Earl

Mine's DEFINITELY quieter when up to temp. I have an invisible exhaust leak near the rear-pipe to collector joint and loose baffles in the collector. I dimpled the bottom of the collector and most of the baffle rattles went away.

Plan to rip the exhaust out and replace with a better collector I got off E-bay (going to rip it's guts out first) then seal up everything I can with copper pipe sleeves, gaskets, copper sealant etc. etc this winter.

Once it's nice and quiet I'll put loud pipes on and undo everything hahaha