Does somebody know the numbers for the TCI"s and their corresponding years. I did do a search but found only Condor's reply giving the Yamaha part number. What I am after are the numbers on the sticker which of course do not correspond to the part number.

the sticker has a number like:

TYPE TID14-17 26H-10

or

TYPE TID14-28 41R-10 (I believe this is for an 1985)

Thank you for the help

Below is a cut from a previous thread that had TCI numbers in it.

If the TCI is from a 1983 vintage,(26H serial number prefix) it must have its vacuum sensor connection above the throttle plates. Needs dual pick-up coils.

If the TCI is from a 1984-1989 vintage,(41R serial number prefix) it must have its vacuum sensor connection below the throttle plates. Needs dual pick-up coils.

If the TCI is from a 1990-1993 vintage,(3JJ serial number prefix) it must have its vacuum sensor connection below the throttle plates. Needs single pick-up coil.

Gary

The 26H is for the '83 model only. The vac system can be modified to work. Dingy has the word on that.

THe 41R is for all other years '84 thru '89 I believe. There will be differences in the actual part numbers as improvoment were made over the years but the 41R will work on all models with the double pickup coils in those years. The year won't matter. Just need the 41R.

Mike

Opps...Dingy was here already. So what the said.

Below is some more info on interchanging TCI on different 1st gens.

Original thread is http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50354&highlight=tci+numbers

You can use an 84-89 box on an 83.

You can not use an 90-93 unit. If you have a 90-93 motor, it only has 1 pickup coil compared to 4 on the 83-89 motors. It can only use a 90-93 TCI or the Ignitech unit.

However, due to the 84-89 bikes not having the carbs drilled for the vacuum line, you can not use an 83 TCI on 84-89 bikes without drilling for the vacuum port. The bike will run with out the drilling, but not to maximum potential due to vacuum curve being inverted.

To use the 84-89 TCI on an 83 bike you need to block the port on the carb bank where the vacuum line hooks to, which is above the throttle plates.

Then the line will be reattached below the carbs to the rubber intake manifold.

On the 84-89's there is a plastic restrictor to help smooth out the pulsing in the vacuum. It is not a valve, just a plastic tube with a small hole inside. It also serves to connect the two different size vacuum lines together.

The vacuum sensor units are the same on all 1st gens.

I was running an 86 TCI on my bike, but also have the original 83 TCI that I have also ran on it. It runs just as well with either unit. The bike has 83 carbs on it. I needed to change the vacuum hookup when changing between 83 model & 86 model.

I am now running the Ignitech unit which is discussed in depth at the thread below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40414

Gary

Here is why I am confused about the numbers and why I am not doubting what everyone says but...

I took two TCI's off two bikes that were both 84's. Both bikes had the same TCI on them ie the 26H model whereas everyone says these were only on the 83's. The vacuum lines ran to the intake manifolds on both. I even checked the manufacturer;s sticker to be sure they were 84's and they were.

So what gives?

Here is why I am confused about the numbers and why I am not doubting what everyone says but...

I took two TCI's off two bikes that were both 84's. Both bikes had the same TCI on them ie the 26H model whereas everyone says these were only on the 83's. The vacuum lines ran to the intake manifolds on both. I even checked the manufacturer;s sticker to be sure they were 84's and they were.

So what gives?

Unless you have owned the bike since it was new or knew the previous owners, anything could have been changed during the bikes life span and you would not be aware of it.

To someone without the resources available from a source such as this forum, a TCI is a TCI. The connectors are the same. The bike will run fairly decent at mild throttle. The difference will be when the bike is run up towards its potential and the need for vacuum advance kicks in. The wrong TCI will give an inverted curve. This means that when the engine needs advance on the spark, due to the higher piston speed, the TCI will be retarding the spark. This will cause significant torque and corresponding horsepower decrease.

Gary

• 5 months later...

I Believe I have a 83 VR with a 87 TCI.

The PO says he switsched the TCI, because the 83TCI looks burned.

The bike won's fire up, en keeps backfiring throught the carbs, like the ignition would be completely wrong.

With the throttle wide open, it seems like the starter can turn it with less effort.

I haven't had the time to switch the vacumm line from the tci under the throttle plates, but I wonder....

Could the problem only been caused by this?

grtz, D

I Believe I have a 83 VR with a 87 TCI.

I haven't had the time to switch the vacumm line from the tci under the throttle plates, but I wonder....

Could the problem only been caused by this?

grtz, D

83 vacum location is different, than any other year. Try switching to the later model vacum port & test.

Let us know of your results. :fingers-crossed-emo

If you are running a TCI that has a model # starting with 26H, it must be hooked up above the throttle plates to run correctly. The bike should start with either a 26H or a 41R model TCI, but overall will run like crap under load. A motor from 83-89 will NOT run with a TCI model # 3JJ, due to pickup coil differences.

The plug in connection is identical on all 1st gen TCI's so they can't be distinguished by the connectors.

1st picture shows a 1983 carb bank, left side looking slightly forward, bottom of carbs oriented down. There is a red cap on the port on the front carb. This is where a stock configured 1983 26H TCI vacuum sensor would attach.

2nd picture shows a motor with the carbs removed. This is taken from the right side, looking slightly rearward. On the intake, there is a black vacuum port cover with a clamp on it (3 visible in picture). The stock 84-93 TCI's hook up to generally the port on the left front intake manifold (#2), though it really does not matter which one is used.

Gary

Jips

I don't know how much rpm the engine does when you are starting. Not much I guess, probably couple of 100RPM. The engine doesn't fire up so....

The engine seems to be one later than 83, so it is younger than the bike itself. The vacuum is taken under the throttle plates, and there is no port above them. So back to the start.

I mailed the PO to ask him about the other engine where the TCI is from. It should be an 87 he said, so it should be the same TCI, but I wan't to be sure.

I had the feeling that it ignited much to soon, sometimes even with the intake valves still open. (Will try to check it next time with a strobo light) There was more smoke from the carbs, than from the exhaust.

Could the ignition that much wrong?

The colors from the wires at the ignition coils is like it should be.

All the plugs have a spark too

Is this possible? :think::think::think:

grtz, D

Doubtful the timing is off if the plugs are firing.

There is no adjustability to the timing advance that can be done mechanically

Do the stator & clutch side covers say 1300 on them? This would be a possible indication the motor has been changed.

The actual motor though does not matter. The TCI & the carbs are what is mated. 83 carbs with the 26H prefix TCI.

If you are concerned it is the timing advanve due to the TCI, you can eliminate the advance by unplugging the hose from the carb connection & plugging the open port on the carbs. This will allow bike to start with no vacuum advance. It should start without this. The vacuum advance does not kick in unless the bike is under load.

Gary

Jips

It seems I have the later carbs, with no hole on the carbs.

I haven't found the time to check what TCI I have, but I will do soon.

The engine has no 1300 clutch and side panels(I think, cause under YAMAHA there's only an empty rectangle), but can I see if the engine itself is a 1300?

grtz, D

Other than serial number, nothing comes to mind that is going to leap out at you. S/N is on motor, rear left side, above the drive shaft housing (middle gear).

One thing that is different is the oil crossover chamber. Basically, looks the same, but the bolt pattern from the 1200 to the 1300 is different.

It is shown between the two cylinder banks in picture below. The screws that hold the two halves together are different. This is the 1300 style.

Also, measure the aluminum clutch cover width. From the engine case out. I know the 1200 & 1300 are different. Post that, I have one of each here.

Gary

Jips

Today I checked the ignition with the strobo light, and it seems that the first cilinder sparked at the TDC of cilinder 2 and vice versa.

I switched the coils, and also coils 3 and 4, and it stayed idling.

It idles very smooth, and what I found very quiet. (for not having installed the exhaust pipes I mean)

When I gave a little turn at the throttle, it stopped.

With or without the vacuum connection, makes no difference.

If the engine gets hot, it is possible to keep it running, but at the same RPM, and with a lot of banging.

Couldn't get any further.

Also found it strange that the tacho drops when you twist the throttle.

The engine number starts with 47G, so I don't know if its a 1300.

grtz, D

Jips

checked all connection today, all are clean.

Removed the TCI, it was a 26H, so with the vacuumconnection under the throttle plates, it sure cannot run well. Opened it, it had no (!) moisture in it, completely dry.

Is it possible that the cause of the problems is just the wrong TCI?

Is ther anyone who actually switched a 26H TCI on a later than 83 bike, or just 'should' it work.....

I don't know it anymore.......

Think I'm going to sleep...., it's allready past midnight here

grtz, D:headache::headache::headache:

Jips

I narrowed the problem down to the TCI. All the resistances of the ignition coils, and the ignition pickup coils are within tolerance.

Can the TCI been repared, or do I have to search for another one?

grtz, D

Jips

Today I checked the ignition with the strobo light, and it seems that the first cilinder sparked at the TDC of cilinder 2 and vice versa.

I switched the coils, and also coils 3 and 4, and it stayed idling.

D

stuD recently had simular problem and found rotor had spun on shaft, check this thread

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57086