IGNORED

Sealing stator leads at grommet

frankd

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere here many times, but when I 'searched' nothing jumped out.

On my 89, I'm in the process of changing my alternator stator (and my starter drive clutch, and my rear wheel bearings and my....). I think that the last time I did it (on my 83) I sealed the leads in the grommet and the grommet in the case with RTV. Is there anything better to use, or does everybody still use RTV?

Thanks,

Frank

this was suggested by someone on this site and i used it for my 2nd gen.......i took heat shrink tubing, put it on where it comes through the grommet...this took up the slack and made a snug fit.....but i also used the yamaha "stuff" ( can't think of name)....as a guarantee, but i didn't have to use much

Yes, You REALLY have to use some good carb cleaner or gas to get the fabric covering the wires clean of old oil, then I used Yamabond4 (discontinued now, I think, but Suzukibond4 of Hondabond4 is all the same) to coat the wires just insde and outside of the grommet, work it a bit into the fabric and then a bit around the grommet holes. Worked fine for me!

maybe the 1st and 2nd gen are different....but i had 3 individual wires running thru 3 different holes in the grommet.......then had fabric covering the rest of the 3 wire bundle.......i should have added that i used sealant on the outside of the grommet....and the stuff yamaha sells now is called 3 bond 1194..semi-drying liquid gasket...