IGNORED

Chatterboxes

Mr. Holloween

Not many here use them. From what I've heard they are not so good. If you plan on riding with other ventures I would suggest the J+M brand of communication. I have tried many other cheap ones in the past on my wife's bike only to suck it up and get the more costly but far superior j+m.

About 12 years ago I bought the small Chatterbox unit that used the small batteries that lasted about 8 hours. I then bought the cord that plugged to the bike battery. After breaking the cord, I went to Radio Shack and bought a small battery holder that holds two AAA batteries. Since then I have replaced parts of the system, even replacing the box and the system works very well. But, I have had to do mods to make it as good as it is. This is not the bike to bike units, but teathered from driver to passenger. The AAA batteries will last for a long time unless I leave the unit on for a week or so. And, the AAA batteries are easy to find.

The last time I messed with it, I stopped by an independant shop and bought a box and two sets of helmet speakers/mikes for about $20, so I can't complain about the service I have had.

RandyA

I have both the J&M and the Chatterbox headsets. They each have strengths and weaknesses in my opinion.

The J&M does a better job of filtering out wind noise. However, the trade-off for that is that the mics sound a bit more "mushy" or suppressed, especially when my wife talks. She has a very soft voice and I can hear her much better and clearer with the Chatterbox, as long as we are under 50 mph and the wind isn't gusting.

I also think that the Chatterbox sets have a better mounting system. The springclip makes it super easy to get on and off and it still holds tight.

If you mostly ride in an easy-going cruiser style, then the Chatterbox would be an acceptable unit. Since most of our riding is a bit faster and more aggressive, the J&M's work better for us.

As far as companies go, I have had no experience working with Chatterbox on any problems. IMO J&M cannot be beat for customer service. In May I bought a used Goldwing, and it came with a J&M passenger controller. I could barely hear my wife when hooked up to the controller. I removed it and went back to the stock config and could hear her fine. That rear controller is a $110 item, I emailed J&M asking if it was repairable and how much it would cost. John, the president of J&M, answered my email and gave me shipping instructions and an RMA number, said they'd look at it. I sent it off, 2 weeks later it came back to me....FULLY REPAIRED, and at NO COST other than what it cost me to send it to them. They even had a note in it stating what was done to repair it. What really gets me is that they knew that it was not purchased by me, and they fixed it for free anyway. Outstanding!

If all businesses operated like J&M, the off-shore companies would find it tough to compete. I now always look at J&M first when looking for any bike electronics. The import stuff may be cheaper, but J&M takes care of their customers. That is worth the extra $.

Chatterbox is all i use anymore. I have gone throught several sets ( and several bikes) in the last 6 years. I did try the edsets for a short time but hated the stick on mounting and the wind noise . Lately I found a rubber mike muff cover http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=177 that really lowers the wind noise on my open face helmet but never tried it on the edsets. My wife and I have carried on many a conversation in over 80,000 miles on ventures with the chatterbox and I'm happy with them. For Music we mostly use the Loudspeakers on the bike. The Music is pretty tinny on the headsets but when we do longer roadtrips we both wear earplugs and that makes all the difference in the world. Sounds like a concert hall with the plugs.

The best part is i like the price!

Edited by Jercoupe

Thanks all for the returns, I ride a 1gen. an love it but I bought a Kaw.Nomad acouple of weeks ago.(don't really know why,just something different ) I'am wanting to put that j&MCB 2003 DU comm. on it . But the guys an gal that I ride with can't afored the good units. So we are looking at the Chatterbox, As an afordable way to talk back an forth.also with intercom. Can I get any more coments on this. I know their cheap an all but do they work ?

Thanks for your time

Mr. Holloween:witch_brew:

. But the guys an gal that I ride with can't afored the good units. So we are looking at the Chatterbox, As an afordable way to talk back an forth.also with intercom.

Mr. Holloween:witch_brew:

I put a handheld cb on my wifes yamaha majesty so we can communicate. I bought the headset adapter from again from sierra. http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-RHD-20 I had a cheap radio shack cb already and she had the headphones in her helmet she used to ride on my venture so it didnt cost me much. The adapter i got was a 5 pin since we already use chatterbox headsets but you may want the 6 pin jm adater if you plan on getting their cb later.